Stereophonics?

It's quite ironic that the most arrogant, unlikeable man in music is responsible for such laughable drudgery that he calls "rock". The guy has stopped putting B-sides on his singles because he has to put two tracks on the first part, 2 more on the second part, and he releases four singles from an album, meaning 12 songs, which is basically an album. THERE's someone in it for the love of music, eh? Awful, awful band.

One or two good songs..bartender and the thief and local boy in the photograph. The rest was dreary rubbish.

The first couple of songs I heard from them on the radio years ago were a breath of fresh air to me, so I went out and bought the album. The "sameness" of all their songs (especially the vocals) soon demoted that CD to the back of the cupboard !

The first two albums, Word Gets Around & Performance & Cocktails were reasonable, but the last two were utter rubbish. His voice annoys the hell out of me now. It's like nails down a chalkboard accompanied by high-pitched squealing

A terrible band. The singer tries and fails to sound like Rod Stewart, their music is derivitive and bland, their lyrics trite and vacuous. The only reason they have success is because you get taffies buying their music simply because they are welsh :rolleyes:

Sounds like an asthmatic cat being raped to me.

Originally posted by Games Guru
A terrible band. The singer tries and fails to sound like Rod Stewart, their music is derivitive and bland, their lyrics trite and vacuous. The only reason they have success is because you get taffies buying their music simply because they are welsh :rolleyes:
And I also buy everything the Manics bring out, and the Super
Furry Animals, and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, and Tom Jones, and
Charlotte Church, and Cathrine Jenkins, and Aled Jones :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Believe it or not, boyo, we're not much different to you in
choosing what music we like. Unless, of course, you buy every
record by an English band or singer ;)
Personally, I've never liked any of the Stereophonics music.
For me, Kelly Jones's singing style is very irritating.
I don't for one minute think he is trying to imitate Rod Stewart. Friends of mine, who knew Kelly when he started singing for a living, said that he sounds similar now as he did back then and they also said there wasn't a Rod Stewart cover insight!
They've sold a lot of records over the last few years but I'd be very surprised if they have anymore big hits. The novelty has
worn off imo.

They were a good band that could cut it back in 1998.

I saw them at the anson rooms in Bristol and they played a great set which contained some great AC/DC inspired riffs.

However, instead of continuing to 'rock' Kelly Jones decided that he wanted them to be the next Black Crowes and as pointed out earlier, Perfoermance and cocktails was the last 'good' album to be released by these guys.

I think that they are similar to Oasis in that they were/are working class boys who wrote about things we could all relate to, but as they got bigger they lost their roots and now write about inane crap.

Just my opinion however.

Cap :)

first 2 albums are good, the rest are ****e

Originally posted by bowenjones
And I also buy everything the Manics bring out, and the Super
Furry Animals, and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, and Tom Jones, and
Charlotte Church, and Cathrine Jenkins, and Aled Jones :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Believe it or not, boyo, we're not much different to you in
choosing what music we like. Unless, of course, you buy every
record by an English band or singer ;)
Personally, I've never liked any of the Stereophonics music.
For me, Kelly Jones's singing style is very irritating.
I don't for one minute think he is trying to imitate Rod Stewart. Friends of mine, who knew Kelly when he started singing for a living, said that he sounds similar now as he did back then and they also said there wasn't a Rod Stewart cover insight!
They've sold a lot of records over the last few years but I'd be very surprised if they have anymore big hits. The novelty has
worn off imo.

I wasn't taking the **** mate, I lived with a load of welsh people at university and they ALL said that they felt like they had to like the sterophonics because they are welsh. That's just sad.

Thats just so dumb if they said that. I liked local boy in the photgraph. But they are utter ****e. He plays on that drowl he must think its great. He over sings.

Some great bands have come out of wales as said above. They're not one of them

Originally posted by Games Guru
I wasn't taking the **** mate, I lived with a load of welsh people at university and they ALL said that they felt like they had to like the sterophonics because they are welsh. That's just sad.
No offence taken :) And I agree, that is sad.

Guess I'm gonna bet in the minority then!

Saw them at T in the Park a few years ago, and they were quite good. Saw them at Glasgow Barrowlands (always a fantastic venue for watching bands) and they were outstanding.

Really liked Performance and Cocktails, never heard the album after, and really like there current one, particularly the acoustic based ones.

Can be said that a lot of their music is "safe", but still like most of there stuff.

Word Gets Around was awesome...one of my most listened to albums.

The rest were a bit rubbish, a couple of OK songs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom