• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Stereo versus Direct versus Pure Direct

bpchia

Standard Member
Trying to work out the difference...

I get that Direct bypasses all the tone controls, but I currently have my subwoofer turned ON for Stereo/Direct...when I select stereo, the frequencies below 80Hz go to the sub and I can verify an input into the sub. When I select Direct, the right hand side indicates SW output, but the sub doesn't receive any input. What is happenning?

With Pure Direct nothing goes to the sub as expected, otherwise does Pure Direct just equal Direct with the display turned off?

Thanks, Ben

P

Peter Galbavy

I get that Direct bypasses all the tone controls, but I currently have my subwoofer turned ON for Stereo/Direct...when I select stereo, the frequencies below 80Hz go to the sub and I can verify an input into the sub. When I select Direct, the right hand side indicates SW output, but the sub doesn't receive any input. What is happenning?

From short experiments, and poor memory, if under "2Ch/Direct" you have LFE and not LFE+Main set (regardless of Small or Large for the fronts) then the sub will not get anything, regardless of cross over settings elsewhere. Odd that stereo does work - I may try to check this, as I can simply switch off my fronts via their monoblock power amps and listen for the sub.

With Pure Direct nothing goes to the sub as expected, otherwise does Pure Direct just equal Direct with the display turned off?

Sort of. My understanding is that video processing is also turned off for non-HDMI inputs/outputs and that on certain models (older ones I think) the DSPs are doubled up for 2 channel sources to give extra processing to the audio. Also, perhaps in EXT IN mode the channels are passed through without any processing - again I think this is only on older models.

Lord Bunky

Established Member
Yep, Peter is right. If using direct and you want the sub to function, you have to set sub as LFE+Main.

Stereo is fine with the sub just set to LFE.

Lord Bunky

Established Member

Dreamxtreme

Banned
From short experiments, and poor memory, if under "2Ch/Direct" you have LFE and not LFE+Main set (regardless of Small or Large for the fronts) then the sub will not get anything, regardless of cross over settings elsewhere. Odd that stereo does work - I may try to check this, as I can simply switch off my fronts via their monoblock power amps and listen for the sub.

Sort of. My understanding is that video processing is also turned off for non-HDMI inputs/outputs and that on certain models (older ones I think) the DSPs are doubled up for 2 channel sources to give extra processing to the audio. Also, perhaps in EXT IN mode the channels are passed through without any processing - again I think this is only on older models.

AWWW Thank you!!! i could kiss you!! , you solved my weird freeview box overscanning problem with my Denon 4308 that ive had for ages, pure direct to the rescue , picture now looks good again!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom