• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Stereo to Passive Sub

Solihull

Standard Member
I want to use my system for 5:1 movies and for CD Stereo music.

I have a Denon AVR-3802
Using the Pre-Out Sub Woofer I want to connect this to a
Technics SA-GX100L which I want to use as the amp to drive a passive woofer rated 3 OHMs. (what kind of cable connections do I need?)
A or B speaker outputs on the Technics are rated at 4-16 OHMs per speaker.
Two More Questions:
1. Can I run the 3 OHMs woofer connected to the speaker outputs without damage to the Technics?
2. How do I combine the Stereo Left and Right channels so that they can drive the mono woofer which has just a pair of spring clips connections +/-, Any helpful wiring diagrams and advice would be much appreciated.

TrophyJem

Established Member
I think your Technics will struggle to drive a 3 ohm load. That's very low!

You could connect the Sub out from your Denon into any input on your Technics amp and use one channel to drive a passive sub. For example, plug from subwoofer out on Denon to left CD in on your Technics and then use the main left speaker out on the Technics to drive a passive sub. But like I say 3 ohm may well be too low.

You can't really combine the left and right to drive a sub. There is such a way, called "bridging", but your amp would have to be suitable for that and it requires driving the left channel out of phase with the right channel. Probably a non starter.

Solihull

Standard Member
Hi again folks.

In an attempt to get both stereo channels feeding my passive sub I've connected both positive speaker outputs on the Technics SA-GX100L one to the subs positive and one to the subs negative connections. The negative speaker outputs on Technics are not connected to anything.

Whilst it seems to work I have a couple of questions:

1. Am I actually getting the full feed from both stereo channels reproduced by my sub?

2. By connecting in this way am I courting trouble in the form of an amp or speaker mealtdown?

Does anyone know if this amp can be bridged?

Many thanks for your help.

tobydickenson

Standard Member
1. Am I actually getting the full feed from both stereo channels reproduced by my sub?

No. Imagine playing a mono signal. The signal is the same on left and right channels, so your sub sees no signal at all. (you might hear something anyway - thats distortion, not signal)

TrophyJem is right that you probably need to use one channel of the amp.

It should be easy to get both channels of your pre-out driving one channel of your sub amp if you are up for some simple soldering. Replace that straight-through rca cable with one which uses a resistor network to mix stereo to mono. A quick google led me to this stereo to mono summing box.

In practice I dont think I would bother. There is very little stereo separation in low frequency content, so using any one source channel is nearly as good as using both.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom