Stereo to 7.1 up scale for multi channel amp

Jeremy Richemont

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a XONAR card in the hope that it would upscale stereo music to 7.1 surround via a Yamaha 7.1 amp.

The amp will do this itself from a stereo source but not with any fine control. I get "jazz club" or "concert hall" and must put up with however it thinks the conversion should be done. Plus I have to crawl about under my desk to change it.

It can bypass this and take direct input from a 7.1 source. But I get only stereo from this, not surround.

I am not playing games which come with 7.1/5.1 anyway - I'm sure it would work fine. I want 7.1 from a music stereo source that I can control from a window to get it just right for me.

Any ideas? Be very grateful for any help you can give.

Jeremy

Imagine my disappointment when I got only stereo from a stereo source! I know all channels are correctly connected because I ran the test and all 6 (woofer doesn't really do voices) said hello in turn, in the right order.

But it will not convert 2 to 7.1 whatever I do. I unplugged the front cable (any sound from the sides and back should be audible) but nothing.

Any ideas/feedback welcome otherwise its back to the jazz club and sore knees as I try to balance the sound on the amp - you get about 1s to make adjustments then it goes back to normal play mode which means a long time fiddling plus with my head under the desk I'm hardly best place to judge when the sound is right for me in my chair!

The multi-channel input on your AVR is unlikely to offer any form of processing on the input signal - your Soundcard has to perform any conversion and processing and send eight discreet channels of audio to the AVR.

Which Soundcard do you have and what software are you controlling it with?

Joe

Hey Joe (Sorry couldn't resist) I use Natural Sound DSPAX750SE and a very nice amp it is.

Sorry; am I supposed o reply here rather than adding a comment? not used to fora but getting desperate!

Jeremy

Right. I know I bypass all processing the amp does if I use the multi channel input but the point of buying the XONAR was so that It would do the processing but it won't. I don't know what software to use other than the XONAR drivers that came with it and if they see a stereo source they just produce a stereo output through the front channels.
I want it to process the sound so I get full surround that I can control from a window (rather than crawling around on the floor) and gives me full control of echo, delay and everything else.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom