• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Stereo system + speaker advice

piokino

Novice Member
Dear audio enthusiasts,

Considering myself to be a bit of a newbie, I am looking for advice in buying a stereo system + speakers on a budget of around (if possible, below) 1000 eur.

For speakers: I am looking at Focal Chorus 716 or 726 (I have owned Chorus 714 before, and was very pleased with them). I'm not sure if the price difference between those (+100 eur) comes with a noticeable difference in quality?

For the receiver/amp, I'm considering the following:
- Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20
- Onkyo TX-8050
- Harman Kardon 3770
Any ideas as to what would be the better match for the Focals?

My motivation for CA is that I used to have an Azur AVR that I really liked; the Onkyo is a system that I've used abroad for a few years; the HK was a suggestion I found online...
In terms of requirements:
- I am looking for a system with (at least) 2 digital inputs (optical for connecting a Mac Mini, and a rather low-budget CD/DVD player with digital output);
- network connectivity is a convenient plus (eg. system control through a smart phone app; like the Onkyo and HK), but no hard requirement.
- I also want turntable connectivity (I don't have one yet, but am thinking of buying one later).

My main use will be playing music (indie, singer-songwriter, jazz, classical) from digital sources (Mac Mini, which I'll connect optically to the receiver). Still, the system will also serve as TV audio -- but I don't care about surround, since the movies/series I watch are not of the types that rely on impressive sound effects.

I'd appreciate any advice on the Focal + CA/Onkyo/HK; or alternative suggestions in the (sub-)1000 euro range that offer better performance for the money...

Best,
Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom