Stereo subwoofer cabling

Reaction score
Hi

I'm in the process of rewiring my whole system following the purchase of my new Pioneer plasma. I am going to be hiding the cables away using trunking so I want to get the cable options right from the start.

I'm using a Denon 3802 with a Rel Q100E and a Rel Q150E.

Is there any discernable benefit from using both phono's inputs on each of the subwoofers? If so I will need to run the extra cables in advance and buy a Y splitter which I could use with the adapter that I already have (so that I have 4 phono's out of the one sub pre-out on the amp). I only really want to go this route if the result is worthwhile.

Is it worth using the lo level neutrik inputs as well?

What cable is recommended for subwoofer use? I have 2 lengths of 5m Ixos 1081 but need to replace one of them with a 10m length. Is it worth spending in the £60 region or will a £20 Ixos cable do the job just as well?

Thanks for your views.

I can vouch for the quality of the Scorpion cables. :smashin:

Useing both the inputs on a sub is only really required if you have your sub set to auto-on. The 2 connections wake the sub up at lower levels, hence no/less dropouts of bass after a quiet sequence in a film etc. Saying that though I only have a single Scorpion cable with no Y adapter and have never noticed the sub sleeping when required. If sub is set to on then the 2 connections offer no benefit.

Mark.

Thanks for the tips chaps - I'll have a look at the scorpion range.

I did experiment with the Q150E last night by connecting the normal phono input and the one marked +12db. The result was not very promising. Output increased enormously - lots of very loose flabby bass energising the whole room. I tried turning the level down, until it was almost off, but still couldn't get it sounding right so I removed the +12db lead. Suddenly things were a lot better. I will try again at the weekend as it could be that it simply needed further adjustment.

Epoman

Originally posted by Epoman
Is it worth using the lo level neutrik inputs as well?

What cable is recommended for subwoofer use? I have 2 lengths of 5m Ixos 1081 but need to replace one of them with a 10m length. Is it worth spending in the £60 region or will a £20 Ixos cable do the job just as well?

It is not worth using the high level neutrik connectors as well as the low level phono connection for AV purposes.

I have a £750 SVS sub and use a £15 Ixos cable that I bought from forum sponsor hifibitz.

Don't connect both the phonos on the REL at the same time.

The +12db one is to be used instead of the normal one if you can't get enough gain. Using both will give you (as you found) excessive gain which will IIRC ruin the S/N ratio on the subs amp.

Use the Neutrik high level connectors if you're going to run the amp in stereo bypass mode and you want the extra extension the sub gives you.

Otherwise you can get better results and a more even bass response by setting all speakers to small and redirecting the bass to the subs. They can then be positioned for best performance.

As you have two subs try them either:

one mid front wall and one mid back wall or one either side of the listening position. Or just experiment for best effect.

Thanks Ian, I think I'll stick to a more affordable lead.

I don't use the system for stereo so there dosn't seem to be much point in connecting via the neutriks then.

Mat, you're right about the +12db input - I'll steer clear of it.

In my square living room I used to have one sub freestanding on either side of my TV, which I've read somewhere here is the best place for them. With the new plasma above the fireplace they now have to go in each corner of the fireplace facing forward.

Due to sofa's the only other option I have is to leave one sub where it is and to put the other either on a side wall or in the rear corner of the room. I will try this.

I thought that it was not a good idea to place subs facing each other?

The two subs at either end of the room is from the Harman White paper on multiple subwoofers.

Basically the two subs together cancel out some of the standing waves in the room.

I'll be trying it at the weekend though I'm sure it's a pain to set up and the subs should also be equalised to be flat. So I'll need an equaliser.

Subs either side of the listening point was a recommendation from Lexicon that I read somewhere. I will try that too.

Really I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules for subwoofer placement so use whichever works best for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom