Stereo speakers with TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bob60, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:33 AM.

1. bob60

bob60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everyone
    I am pretty sure this is a stupid question but this seems the best place to ask it anyway.
    I have a Naim Unitilite stereo system with Focal Aria 906 speakers. I have just bought a Loewe OLED TV but don't have room on my TV unit for a soundbar. Could I somehow hook up the the speakers to the TV to improve the sound or are they completely different things?
    Both my stereo and TV are Bluetooth if that helps, but I have never used this before for anything.
    Thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,482
    Yes, according to a Google search for the Naim unit & a quick scan of it's user manual it has plenty of analogue and digital inputs.
    If your Loewe TV has an optical out simply connect that to an optical input on the Naim and select that input and you're good to go.
    As to using Bluetooth it depends on whether your TV supports Bluetooth for headphone use.

3. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    I’d use optical instead of Bluetooth as it’s more stable.

Is the stereo close to the tv?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,374
    Ideally you place the Loudspeakers either side of the TV and form the usual 'triangle' with your listing position - for a lot of folk this arrangement will deliver a better audio experience than a poorly position surround sound system.

As above set your Source devices to Stereo audio and use Optical Out of the TV to send a signal to the NAIM amp.

Joe

5. bob60

bob60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    Thanks for the replies
    Yes the stereo is directly below the TV. It is an all in one stereo so sits on the shelf on my TV unit along with my Humax box.
    Would the sound be comparable to a soundbar?

6. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Yes, definitely comparable and probably better than most. I was just curious about where the sound was coming from - it’d be odd if stereo was off to the side!

Optical cables are quite cheap, though are fragile. Amazon is your friend or you may get one in Tesco though not sure.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,374
    'Would the sound be comparable to a soundbar?' - just as there is a huge range of Stereo Amps and Loudspeaker designs there is a huge range of 'Soundbar' designs and they do not all sound the same.

I mostly view TV and Movies via my Stereo AVR + full range Loudspeakers and have yet to find a Soundbar or Soundbase I would want to replace that system with.

Joe

8. bob60

bob60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes that could be the problem, my speakers are not either side of the TV, one is but the other would sort of be next to where I sit to watch TV. It just seems a smart not to try and use the speakers as they are good ones and don't really get much use as I am more of a tv person.