1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo speakers for Home Cinema...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Silva, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi there,

I was wondering if there was anybody out there that could pass on a bit of advice concerning the above. I intend to use my Hi-Fi system speakers as the fronts in my newly created home cinema set-up. Here are the specs...

Front stereo: 100 watts (90-20,000hz) (4ohms) (0.9%THD)
    Centre: Mission M77C1
    Rears: M77DS
    Amp: Yamaha DSP-AX620
    TV: Loewe Aconda

Would this be possible or do I need to shell out for some front speakers, it seems a waste because I cant put them anywhere else. I have noticed that most home cinema speakers are 8ohms though whatever that means.

Anyway if you could help it would be appreciated....Thanks

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just sold my 77c1 and the matching fronts (773e) there a nice set (i've held on to the 77ds) The 773e are going for £200 at richer sounds. as for ohms: now i'm no expert, but i think the higher the ohms the easyer they are to drive. No doubt someone with more "wisdom" may well say otherwise.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    nope you're right, the higher the impedance the easier it is, for the amplifier to drive them

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, don't buy speakers just based on technical specs - listen to them and buy what you like, not because it has 200 Watt instead of 150 only.
    It would be best if you can voice-match the fronts and center, i.e. same make and series, thus achieving a tonal balance when sound is moving across the front.
    This also applies to the rears but here you could (sometimes you must) compromise.

It is correct to say that a 8 Ohm speaker is usually easier to drive but also the sensitivity can influence that, the higher the better (measured in dB).
    By right any proper (AV) amp should be able to drive 4 Ohm speakers though some budget models might not cope very well due to the limitations of the power supply.