Stereo speakers for A32/P35

CallMeSteve

Ex Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for stereo speakers for an A32/P35 setup?

I'm thinking of separating my 2ch stuff from my 5.1 and have been looking to get some new speakers. I was going to wait until I moved house but I just can't resist...

I'm looking for something that will provide good bass, and is suitable for all types of music. I've been thinking the B&W 703's or a PMC equivalent (FB1+?) but noticed some members using B&W 805's. How do the 805's compare against the above floorstanders? Will the 805's provide decent bass?

Any opinions/real life experience welcome :thumbsup:

Love my 805s's to bits. Did audition them against the 804s's but found that the bass although deeper was more muddled and not so tight. GF noticed it too. Got the 805 stands.

Sounded lovely with the A32/P35 but (as you know) upgraded to P7 to reduce box count. Stil sound superb though.

I would definatly reccomend a proper listen to them. I even ended up taking my amps in to hear them too. The centre is good too (esp biamp'd).

Thanks Ian. Is there 2 different 805 models? I've seen the 805 and 805S, is there much to choose between them?

AFAIK the 805s are the current ones. The 805 was the original one and there was an N805 nautilus too (along with lots of other similar sounding versions).

If you are demo'ing from a local pusher then it will be the 805s as in brand new ones.

I have a pair of 703's with an A32 (SB+ and DV139 direct into the amp for streamed FLAC/CD, and L/R outputs of the Lexicon in processor mode for TV/DVD/Blu-ray).

Of the speakers I listened to, they were the ones I liked best (more than the equivalent-ish MA, Focal JMLab, Triangle, etc), especially for classical music. Bass response is clear and tight, and I don't use a subwoofer for the moment.

They also had reasonable WAF in the cherry-wood finish :).

In a few years time I could imagine trying out the 803D's, but I was already stretching whatever I budget I had initially considered in going for the 703's, so that will have to wait a while...

Michael B.

I've got an A32 and two P35's running to a pair of PMC OB1i's.
I find the Arcams to be beautifully detailed, quite neutral but a bit restrained. So I chose the PMC's to give my system a bit more life and bounce (the OB1i's were an upgrade from a pair of FB1+).
I guess it's up to you as to what kind of sound you prefer (and it is always a preference at the end of the day) and what kind of music you listen to.
Incidentally, you didn't say what your existing speaker set up was? Are you looking for a similar or different sound?
Derek
p.s. The PMC's provide simply astounding bass for their size.

I've got an A32 and two P35's running to a pair of PMC OB1i's.
I find the Arcams to be beautifully detailed, quite neutral but a bit restrained. So I chose the PMC's to give my system a bit more life and bounce (the OB1i's were an upgrade from a pair of FB1+).
I guess it's up to you as to what kind of sound you prefer (and it is always a preference at the end of the day) and what kind of music you listen to.
Incidentally, you didn't say what your existing speaker set up was? Are you looking for a similar or different sound?
Derek
p.s. The PMC's provide simply astounding bass for their size.

My A32 and P35 run OB1's .....

I would completely agree with Derek - only to add that bi as opposed t tri amped results in slightly less detail and a slightly more relaxed delivery. I love the combo I have but it does depend what you listen to and what you are after. I tried tri amping but it wasn't for me. I think the Arcam stuff works really well with PMC speakers ..... as will many others here. FWIW came from FB1's prior to the OB1's having found them to work really well with the Arcam units.

I don't know what your budget is but there's a guy on the speaker forum bit who bought a complete AV setup of the older PMC DB1+,TB2+,FB1+ for under £2k (the details are also in the thread). Here's the link (I would guess the FB1+'s are probably £8-900 new in that deal - don't know though):

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749049

My PMC DB1+'s work well with my AVR350 so I'd say the PMC/Arcam pairing is a good one.

I think I'm leaning towards PMC but they're speakers are hard to come by second hand. I have a budget of £800-£1000 for the front stereo pair. I'll maybe add to them later on down the line for 5.1 but that will be after I move house.

If I were to go with standmounts like the 805's, can I/would it be worth adding a subwoofer to the setup?

Depends. I find they go plenty low enough without one for stereo listening.

I've decided to get the FB1+ until I move house. I also have the option to buy TB2+ and TB2M-C+ for a good price (I think).

Will my A32/AVR300/P35 provide adequate power to the PMC's?

And let us know what you think!
This is a community after all, and I sometimes do feel a sense of responsibility with my recommendations.
Could just be me, mind....
Derek

Got my FB1+, TB2+ and CB6 :D last night. After a quick setup, they sound very good indeed! Very open and detailed, much better than the B&W's I had. I haven't got round to properly tweaking the positions and settings but initial impressions are :thumbsup:

If anyone else is thinking about PMC speakers...don't think...go and buy!! :smashin:

BTW, does anyone know how long PMC's take to run in? I'm sure the bass isn't as deep as it should be but it could be my settings :confused:

It's only something like 15 hours to run them in according to the manufacturer. Whether they improve after that is starting to get difficult to say.

They do like a bit of volume to really sing along with a hi-power amp. They are really known for their open mid-range, so supplementing they with a high quality sub is the way to go.

Graham

The next upgrade on my list is the sub :thumbsup:

BTW, does anyone know which 2 of the 3 terminals I should use to biamp the CB6? Or does it not matter?

The next upgrade on my list is the sub :thumbsup:

BTW, does anyone know which 2 of the 3 terminals I should use to biamp the CB6? Or does it not matter?

There is no hard and fast rule. Good practice is to use the meatiest amp to feed the bass. Then use the other to feed the mid and treble as they are a much lighter load. Works for me.

Graham

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom