1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Speakers for < £150. Second hand or new?? B&W? Mission?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by tombrown, Sep 14, 2005.

1. tombrown

tombrown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Been doing alot of lurking around these parts in the hope that someone else will make a similar topic, but that hasnt happened so here goes!

Anyway im going back to uni soon and looking to replace my rather larger and difficult to transport eltax 5.1 speakers with some stereo/standmount/bookshelf speakers that sound a little better and are easier to move about.

Ive been looking at the B&W602's on ebay, and missed out on a pair last night for around £100 :( All the reviews ive read are for the S2/S3 versions, and theres a couple of pairs on there at the moment which are the first version (no series at all) - what are these like? Worth buying? Or should I jsut concerntrate on getting series 2?

Ive also been looking around richer sounds, superfi etc but there's nothing which has blinding reviews. How about the mission volare V60/V61?

What I guess I really want to know is if it is worth buying second hand off ebay, or going for a newer model direct from a shop. If second hands the better idea with my budget (£150 max) what sort of speakers should I be looking at?

Apologies for all the questions, i must have spent about 3 solid days in total looking for the ideal pair of speakers but theres so many about I cant make a decision, any help would be appreciated :)

Tom.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I definitely think that second hand would be the way forward with your budget. I did very well out of it, make sure you check the classifieds on this (and other) forums. :)

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I'd definitely go 2nd hand.

I would recommend Dynaudio 42s (or 42Ws) but I'm not sure if you could get them for under £200 (you'd need to keep your eyes open). Below that I don't know, the B&W 602s are very popular.