Stereo Speakers and Cinema?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by gooseacre, Feb 12, 2009.

1. gooseacre

gooseacre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a decent pair of Dynaudio speakers that were originally bought for playing music through with a stereo amp, CD player set up.

As I am now expending into home cinema I now have them hooked up to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540 AV amp. So now I have decent music output (with both a CD player and a PS3 for streaming music from a NAS drive).

My problem is that when watching TV (or DVDs or streamed video through the PS3) and using the stereo speakers (ie. 2.0) the sound is not great - basically I need to turn the volume up to hear dialogue at a reasonable volume but when any music kicks in it is too loud!

What suggestions does anyone have on fixing this specific problem without:
    1) going 5.1 (don't have the space for rear speakers)
    2) losing my decent stereo speakers for the music side of things

I have seen "soundbars" but would this mean losing my stereo speakers?

Any pointers gratefully received.

ps. don't want to spend any more than a couple of hundred quid if I can help it!

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,383
    Might be a setup issue. Have you defenitely turned off all the unconnected speakers in the amps setup menu. and what sound setting are you using. Might be as simple as setting the amp to stereo mode

Adding a centre speaker might be an option for clearer dialog, although TBH I'm running 2 speakers (and a sub) only at the moment, setup right it sounds good. I don't miss the centre but am missing the surrounds a lot.