1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo speaker advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by slingshot, Jun 8, 2004.

1. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm looking to improve the stereo sound (and possibly go stereo at a later stage when funds permit).

So I'm not particularly bothered about surround I'll stick with my current rega centre and rears, but I think I want to change my front's currently rega Jura's. They are good fun (and handle bass better than some sub's), however they are lacking mid bass and the treble can be a bit harsh. They will be used with a Rotel 1066 processor and Acam P85/90 ?? power amps.

price upto about 1500. Currently I've heard PMC GB1's at the Bristol show which I loved so am going to have a proper listen, and also the FB1's, although I didn't hear them back to back I'd have to say I prefered the GB1's.

I spent about an hour at the weekend listening to Dynaudio Contour 1.3's and both myself and the girlfriend thought they were nice, but to be honest I didn't go wow they seemed a bit too polite (much better top end than the Rega's though).

So what else would people suggest I consider ? I've never been impressed with any B&W's I've heard upto about a grand, they all seem to have out of control bottom ends, although the new 704's are supposed to be pretty good so maybe I'll add those to my list.

I listen to mainly rock, dance, jazz, classical, blues, pop and everything else (OK that didn't help did it ?)

Cheers

Slingshot

2. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try and get hold of some ex-demo/second hand kef ref 201's. They have a nice controlled bass and fluid treble. Mids are great. These speakers are really well built but need to be pushed to get the best from them. There suitable to play all the music you've mentioned but excel with vocals imo.
    If you going stereo then its not a problem but these wont intergrate well with your current speakers. They are about the best standmount speakers in their price range.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Course it was a great help as it rules out all speakers that sound particularly good with Country & Western.

We also like the offerings by Proac and Totem at the Bristol show this year although conditions there were hardly ideal for good listening.

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thought about Proac so I'll have a look in that proce range, saw a pair of D100's at the weekend, my girlfriend pointed at them and said can't we have some proper size speakers ! So much for WAF they must have been almost 6 feet tall, again I tried to tell her size isn't everything !

5. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would try and find a pair of Proac Response 1sc. Fantastic little speakers, I think they are around £1250 new but loads of places sell them second hand (got mine for £750, although that was a bargain :D ).