Stereo Sound Yamaha DSP-A1

johanherrmann

Novice Member
So I got a Yamaha DSP -A1 and a pair of book shelf speakers. Would it be possible to play music with this setup or is it only for home theater / 5.1-7.1 systems?
Because when I connect my speakers to MAIN on the back I dont get any sound at all - but if I connect them to FRONT I get a sound - but then I need to use the "effect" feature, which obviously sounds horrible when listening to music.
Do I connect them to MAIN? Any ideas why I dont get any sound?
Thanks!!!
Johan herrmann

PhilGrover

Standard Member
I use that amp in my music set up with a pair of Monitor Bronze speakers and it sounds fantastic. "Main" is the correct set of terminals and you want to have "Effect Off".

Other than that, I don't know why you're not getting any sound. Are you sure the amplifier isn't faulty?

johanherrmann

Novice Member
I use that amp in my music set up with a pair of Monitor Bronze speakers and it sounds fantastic. "Main" is the correct set of terminals and you want to have "Effect Off".

Other than that, I don't know why you're not getting any sound. Are you sure the amplifier isn't faulty?
Thanks a lot for your reply!
No, I am not sure its not broken. As I was saying, I get sound if I put the speaker cables on Front. But it sounds terrible.
Hm, no ideas what to try?

PhilGrover

Standard Member
I've just remembered - that Yamaha needs to have a set of jumpers fitted to link the preamp to the amplifier itself. Underneath the main speaker terminals are a set of in/out phono sockets for left/right/centre. They should have bridging plugs/bars fitted. It allows you to use the processing with a different power amp, or use the Yamaha power amp for other channels.

I've found a picture on the web showing the back panel with the bridging bars:

Last edited:

johanherrmann

Novice Member
I've just remembered - that Yamaha needs to have a set of jumpers fitted to link the preamp to the amplifier itself. Underneath the main speaker terminals are a set of in/out phono sockets for left/right/centre. They should have bridging plugs/bars fitted. It allows you to use the processing with a different power amp, or use the Yamaha power amp for other channels.

I've found a picture on the web showing the back panel with the bridging bars:

amazing. Thank you so much. So I need to bug those in a Hifi shop perhaps...! “Bridging bars” awesome

Jamie

Distinguished Member
If you can't find the links they woukd have originally used then you could just use a pair of RCA leads, done really short ones here that should do.

Amazon product

Devs Ad

Novice Member
Hello everyone.

This sounds similar to an issue I have too. Just bought one of these astonishing machines locally, 'cos it would have been rude not to. And it has Phono inputs for a recently bought turntable.

As I don't yet have speakers, I plugged in my headphones and it was weird. With the balance control set midway, the sounds was tinny, empty and pretty hellish, with no audible vocals from the track I was listening to. Turning the balance control either L or R did not pan the sound towards L and R as I would have expected, but instead brought a superb quality sound to both cans evenly, tho' I can't truly say it was 'stereo', tho' it didn't sound dead and central like mono either. (The detail from the record was truly astonishing).

What's going on, tho'?! Why doesn't the balance work as I'd expect - literally balancing the L and R channels? Instead I need to have it turning towards L or R in order to get an even and quality sound from the headphones.

(It was probably a silly purchase for use as just a HiFi amp with 2 speakers, but my curiosity got the better of me. What a beast!)

Thanks.

gibbsy

What's going on, tho'?! Why doesn't the balance work as I'd expect - literally balancing the L and R channels? Instead I need to have it turning towards L or R in order to get an even and quality sound from the headphones.
Not all headphone circuits on amps are created equal. They can be poor in performance and vary widely between amps.

Devs Ad

Novice Member
Thanks Gibbsy.

The main issue is, tho', that the balance control doesn't work like a balance control - it doesn't pan the volume to the L&R channels.

Instead, the central position provides an awful tinny empty sound, whereas a full pan either side gives a full solid sound from both earpieces.

Weird.

Devs Ad

Novice Member
Started new thread on this, as I realise it's generally poor form to continue with an existing topic.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom