• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Stereo sound to front and rear speakers

bunjamin

Standard Member
Hi, this is my first post on this site so Hello all!! I have a problem with my Realtek soundcard on Windows Vista 32 and I'm hoping someone out there can help!

I am trying to output a Stereo signal to both my front and rear speakers. Sound comes from the front no problem, but the rear speakers do not give any sound (apart from the test sounds in the configuration menus of Vista). Is this because the sound card is looking for a 'rear' sound and none is available for it to play?

Is there a way of sending the sound the front speakers are playing to the rear speakers also?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question! It's completely baffled me!

Thanks all.

Nellster

Hi bunjamin, lots of info to go over before anybody can actually help.

What is the model of the soundcard?

How is it plugged into your computer? pcie, pci or onboard?

Are the correct drivers installed to support surround sound?

The content you are trying to play? Is it just audio or a movie? What software are you using to play this content? Are the correct codecs in place to output the sound in more than stereo?

Are the cables plugged into the correct outputs on the back of the soundcard?

More info please and I am sure it can be sorted.

bunjamin

Standard Member
Hi bunjamin, lots of info to go over before anybody can actually help.

What is the model of the soundcard?

How is it plugged into your computer? pcie, pci or onboard?

Are the correct drivers installed to support surround sound?

The content you are trying to play? Is it just audio or a movie? What software are you using to play this content? Are the correct codecs in place to output the sound in more than stereo?

Are the cables plugged into the correct outputs on the back of the soundcard?

More info please and I am sure it can be sorted.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It is a Realtek AC'97 onboard sound card.

I have installed the most recent drivers (6.0.1.6293) for the card (this morning) and they appear to be working as I can hear the test sounds (though the Realtek configure program) through all speakers attached, which are definately into the correct jacks.

I am trying to play mp3 audio through both iTunes and Albumplayer. Not sure about codecs as I'm not sure which are the relevant ones! (perhaps this might be the problem..?)

Any further question, I should be by a PC most of the night (at work!) so feel free.

Thanks again.

O

oxide7

The sound from music is usually stereo, so you wont get sound from the rear speakers unless you have an option to activate them.

If you installed the realtek software, you can click the Speaker fill option and it will send signal there as well.

bunjamin

Standard Member
The sound from music is usually stereo, so you wont get sound from the rear speakers unless you have an option to activate them.

If you installed the realtek software, you can click the Speaker fill option and it will send signal there as well.

Thanks, I'll give that a go when I get home later. I was looking for an option like this but just couldn't find it! Any idea where I might see it?

O

oxide7

If you have "Realtek HD Audio Manager" the little red speaker in the tray, double click it. in the window that pops up, at the bottom there are 3 check boxes, the top one is Speaker Fill, check that.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom