Stereo sound through Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brad_Porter, Nov 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

I have a Denon 3802 Amp, a Arcam P-25 Poweramp and some M&K S-85 speakers.

I want to by a stereo amp so that I get a better quality sound for CD's.

What is the best way to connect the amp to the rest of the system. Can I input into the Denon? Is there a cicuitry bypass?

In short, how do you get good stereo sound and home hi-fi without having to completely seperate systems.

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Brad

You´ve already done it by having the Arcam connected to the Denon. Unless you junk the Arcam and replace it with something else or buy a completely seperate two channel system, new speakers, amp etc etc

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate,

Andy (at Arcam) was a little worried that the 3802 pre-amp section was a bit iffy.

Do you feel the same?

Regards,
    Brad

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    As AV receivers go, the Denon 3802 isn´t bad for music but movies are where it´s performance is strongest. Cramming all its features etc into one box at it´s price point and compromises have to be made.

If you want the best of both worlds then you´ll have to move up the price range (A11SR or better still the A1SR). Or dive into the Pre/Power market. Another alternative is a completely seperate two channel only system as I mentioned before.

5. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase.

I just done have the money at current for a whole stereo system not to mention the space!

Thanks,
    Brad

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    You could also get an Arcam A85 or FMJ stereo amp and use this for the fronts. Whether you want to keep the P25 for the fronts to add more power is up to you. Keep Denon for rear surround duties.

A regular Arcam stereo amp like the FMJ will out-perform the Denon in stereo very noticibly.

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I agree with Nobber!

If you get a Stereo Amp (like the ones he mentioned) then you could bypass the Denon completely.. I think most of the Arcam Stereo Amps will let you lock the gain ? so it acts like a power amp when using the tape inputs for example.. that way you would only have to level your speakers once using the Denon Test Tones and then switch over to cd when you wanna play music..

Clear as mud ;)

Matt

8. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Appreciated. Food for thought there.....

9. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    there was thread sometime back (how to conect 3802+a85) that gives info on connection and setup, the a85 diva works ok as stated once (gain is set) you only use the 3802 volume in av, not all the arcam amps have this facility (proc mode) seemed to recall another thread where (older model amp was used) and amps protection circuit would cut "in" in higher volumes in av and shut down for a while, if you use an integrated amp without av facility you have the "juggling of 2 volume controls" in av (because 2nd amp s volume is altered for sterio use, then back to the position it was set for av, also must rember to turn 2nd amps volume to 0 after av use,

10. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Mick, but the youth of today just wont wait mate. :)

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on Brad me old son.........u know you need to blow skip loads of money on a pre/power combination.....

You are only on this planet once.......the missus will forgive you in about 15 years time.......

By the time you've phaffed about changing this & changing that and adding this & adding that, you could've had a nice 18-24 month interest free credit option a shyte hot processor.......

The only big decision then is........TAG?....Lexicon?...Arcam?.....Meridian??.....etc..etc....

Worry ye not of what ye Bank Manager thinks, enjoy ye stereo sound / multichannel sound from ye doyen purveyors of signal processing.

OR...

Ignore me.

Adzman