Stereo sound for movies?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Pezerinno, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi, I'm in a bit of a picky of a situation see this thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180972

Anyway I was just wondering can the movie experience be just as good with stereo speakers only? Instead of your normal 5.1 setup a good pair of stereo speakers?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For true surround sound (5.1) you need 5 speakers and preferrably a subwoofer.
    Of course there is a benefit using a stereo setup over your TV speakers, but it's not surround, just stereo.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Nick25

Have you considered Active Bookshelf monitors - you could buy two for now for your small room and add additional units as funds and room size demand.

You could either run the Active speakers directly from your PC or add in a half decent AV Processor - again do it now or later as budget allows/dictates.

As Reiner says you need five + sub discreet channels to get the full 'benefit' of the Multichannel movie mix the film producers have created; though with a decent Processor 'down mixing' to whatever number of channels you happen to have in your system you can still get a decent sound in a small room with less than a full compliment of speakers.

Necessity has it that I have my own set-up in 2:1 mode this week - and its not too bad.

Also have you considered 'Surround Sound' headphones? - possibly a pair of Active bookshelf monitors for daytime and the Headphones for Night time viewing will keep you and your near neighbours happy :)

Best regards

Joe