Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Stereo setting on Marantz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Test005, Jan 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Stupid question from a newbie!

I have a Marantz 4200 Receiver.
    There's also a full set of speakers (5) but I have no subwoofer.

I thought about geting a sub soon, but can this receiver play music (stereo) through it?
    I have made some tests and find the music to be best when only played on the fronts, not on all five.

So I want the two fronts to be active along with a future sub.
    2.1 (?)

Reason I ask is that the remote button: I use for stereo says: 2 (none for 2.1)

-T5

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    According to the manual for my SR7300, stereo on a 2 channel source will only output to the front to speakers. It lies. It outputs to front 2 plus my sub.

Source Direct on the other-hand, outputs to just the front 2.

3. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback Daneel.
    Funny! I have just the same speakers like you, but kind of smallisher receiver :( (I'd love to compare the diffrence in sound between them on these speakers)

I have one "S-Direct" button and one "2ch" button on my receiver.
    Guess I just have to try it myself when a sub is in place...

T5

4. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got an SR4200 here, Mission M73s front. Outputs as 2.1 when set to stereo.

5. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have the 5200 Sub works on normal Stereo. But doesn't and is not supposed to work on Direct mode.
    Direct sound from music CD is fronts only (Normal Stereo CD's don't contain an L.F.E. channel therefore set in Direct mode the Sub doesn't work, neither do any of the rears as it outputs only what it is reading from the disk and not going through any of the Bass management or surround processors).

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Reading the first part of this ... I assume you have B&W 602s3 like Daniel has? If so, I wouldn't have thought that you will need/want to use the sub when listening to 2ch music. I also have 602 (though Series 2) and there is no lack of base to them if you have them on suitable stands (mine are on Alphason Akros II).

The "S-Direct" button takes the stereo input signal and outputs it to the poweramps without any interveening processing ... so will give you 2.0 (to use your terminology). The "2ch" button does processing in the interveening stages and will give 2.1. Certainly this is what happens with mine.

As for power differences between the 4200 and the 7200 ... well I've powered the 602s with various amps rated from 35w NAD C320 upto a 200w Rotel power amp. They all power the 602s differently though often one is not obviously "better" that another. All I can say is if you want to hear the differences, the only thing to do is to get to a store and demo.

Victoria

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i don't see this 2ch button on my remote (SR7300, yes that's the name of the remote as well as the name of the receiver).

The sub does make a difference, even with 602s. It is quite noticeable.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Yes it makes a difference ... but (and this is just my opinion) this is a difference for the worse.

I recently added a Rotel RA1060 to get the cleanest possible signal and it's so much better than the muddy stuff with the Sub

Victoria

9. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would suggest the effect depends on the quality and setup of your sub. The difference I get is definitely for the better.

10. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just a thought. Until I bought a sub, I thought the same as you regarding the SR4200, that CDs played best with just the Fronts, and PL2 for music was pretty average.

Then I bought the sub (MJA Acoustics Pro 50). Yes, there was quite a bit of improvement in PL2 with the sub, although not mind blowing.

However, as I was playing around with settings, I came across a second Stereo mode, which reads on the display something like “DVD/5CH” (there is also a “TV/5CH” for use with the telly), which I hadn’t seen before when the sub wasn’t there.

All of a sudden – a huge improvement!! Reading the manual, this 5CH is Stereo, but spreads the left sound to the left Fronts and Rears, the right sound to the right Front and Rears and the Centre gets a bit of both.

Mrs H and I found that the sound really fills the room in this mode from both CDs and TV broadcasts.

11. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the "5ch stereo" fills up the room good, but I still prefer ol'fashioned 2ch stereo :)

I also tried S-direct as suggested above, but that made the sound thin compared to the processed 2ch sound which I find richer.

-T5

12. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My SR5300 has the front speakers set to LARGE and the sub to NONE. The sub is connected to the front speakers pre-out. The sub then runs whatever the surround settings. The Yamaha ST-SW205 sub has an adjustment for the cut-off frequency so it can be set to take over where the front mains tail off.

13. zacha4

zacha4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an DV4300 player and SR4300 with mission M73 fronts and a mission centre with KEF rears and no sub. On DVDs the bass is great so its not the speakers but on Stereo with CDs the sound is just flat and has no drive. I have tried source direct and it still sounds flat.

The speakers are set to large and no sub selected, it seems as if the amp needs a sub when playing CDs or thinks it has a sub so puts no bass to the front speakers even on source direct.

Any suggestions or should I bite the bullet and get a sub, any advice on which as a small size would be better for the wife!!!!

Zach

14. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you are using the DVD player to play your CDs, check the settings on the DVD player - it must have the fronts set to LARGE and sub set to NONE, the same as the amp.

15. zacha4

zacha4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely when playing CDs on a DVD player the information sent from the DVD to the AV amp only has information about the CD sound and has no coding based on the setting of the DVD player.

I might be wrong but the DVD player has no need to know what setup it is connected to so set-up on the DVD player for speakers is meaningless because the information the DVD sends to the AV contains all the information and its the AV amp that decides what to do with it???????????

Zach

16. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Don't know of any other differences between the 4300 and 4200 other than 6.1 v 5.1. If this is the case, I have to say that you need to get a sub. It is a quantum leap in improvement in terms of musicality. Not just a matter of bass, the sub seems to open up the mid range, and the flat tones described above simply go away.

Took me 3 months to make up my mind, but I’m pleased I did it.

H

17. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, you're absolutely correct !

Tried this over the weekend - changing the speaker settings on the dvd player makes no difference to the 5.1 audio outputs when playing stereo cds

Looks like you will need a sub

18. zacha4

zacha4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the problem, is the DVD player, the sound from the radio, satellite decoder has lots of bass as does DVDs but its only on CDs the bass is lacking so I might try and demo a decent CD player to see if the DVD player is just poor on CDs

Zach

19. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Marantz 4200 amp plus a 4100OSE as combined DVD/CD source, and even though I have decent fronts, the addition of a sub (after about 8 months) was worth every penny. I opted for the MJ acoustics pro50 which is well regarded, compact and reasonably priced, although I gather REL have released an almost identical size/price unit which should be good. A half-decent sub is another £300 though ! Don't be tempted by the cheaper subs like some of the budget Yamahas; a quick audition will show what the extra £££ buy IMHO.

My 'jury' is still out between using 2ch, 5ch or prologicII (music) mode for CDs; some sound better than others in different modes, so I'm always chopping around, althoughI have to say I settle on 2ch the least...

20. zacha4

zacha4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice on subs, I was thinking of trying a cheaper alternative first, any views on this suggestion?

Would it be better to use the analogue output from the DVD player instead of Digital PCM/bitstream. I might try connecting the analogue outputs into the CD input of the AV amp so while playing a CD I could switch between CD and DVD source and see the difference. The question is can the DVD player output both digital and analogue at the same time????

Any thoughts on this

Zach

21. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Yes both Digital and Analogue outputs can be used at the same time ... infact if you have both optical and electrical (co-ax) digital outputs usually both of these can be used at the same time too.

As for if this will sound better .. the answer is maybe. Best to spend £20-30 on a cable (Cambridge Audio and QED are both recommended) and have a listen. The quality still won't be upto a NAD C521i or similar £200 CD player ... but if you're just using an AV Amp you probably wouldn't notice that much difference.

Victoria

22. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will depend on the quality of the DVD player internals vs those of the AV amp. Try it and see. With my Marantz combo, I tend to go analogue on the AMP, but the difference is very slight...