Question Stereo Receiver vs Old Surround Receiver: which is recommended? (Under $100)

Kamal1997

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a pair of KEF Q15 speakers via Craigslist for $40 and am looking for a way to power them. I will mainly use the setup to listen to music and therefore value stereo music sound quality above all else. Given my budget of $100, the best options I've come to find are older onkyo receivers (SR603, SR605) and a stereo Yamaha R-S201 receiver. What setup is recommended, and are there any better alternatives within my budget? (I may add a sub in the future)

Hi Kamal,

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought that the R-S201 is an AB class amplifier and those Onkyo receivers you mentiond are class D. Therefore I expect that the sound quality of the Yamaha would be better if you're going to listening music in stereo. (Know that this is my opnion and not a fact. Sound quality is also a personal thing.)

But keep in mind that this Yamaha amp has no particular sub out. So if you're going to wire a subwoofer to this amp in the future, you have to connect it to the rec out. Not every subwoofer can deal with this type of connection. Both Onkyo's receivers have a special pre sub out.

gr, Rick

I quickly realized the A/B vs Class D point myself; but that you for pointing it out. I ended up going for a marantz sr8000 for $50. It is has class A/B amplification, a sub out, and I heard that marantz receivers have a good rep for music playback

Marantz is a nice brand. I still have my sr7000. Great stereo sound. 50,- is also a good price. I wish you a pleasant listening time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom