Stereo Receiver vs. Amp + Music streamer?

turco

Established Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, trying to find the best sounding budget option. I checked the internet and YouTube for possible solutions but there are no comparisons so I am here to get opinions and suggestions. Idea is to stream music from Tidal and Plex server via network.

1st question, which will have better sound quality?​

a- integrated amp + music streamer (Marantz pm6006+ music streamer)
b- Yamaha R-N803D or Marantz NR1200

2nd question (if the answer of 1st is A), budget streamer vs blue sound node2i, huge difference?​

by budget, I go way low building a raspberry pi + volumio system. As Marantz has built in reference quality DAC, I would plug it in via digital out to Marantz´s digital in? Or any other possible budget solutions? I just don't want to invest 500€+ streamer.

opinions and suggestions highly welcomed as this question is bugging my head for days now :p

tia

Hi, out of the options that you have listed, I would opt for the Yamaha R-N803D in pure direct mode, and an external streamer / DAC so that you can feed it a decent analogue signal.

Audio Science Review has done some measurements of that unit, and concluded that As a pure, analog integrated amplifier, the Yamaha R-N803 does well. It produces ample amount of power into 4 ohm with pretty low distortion and noise.

I would expect the Marantz PM6006 to be of similar quality, but less power, and the Marantz NR1200 is a bit of an unknown but I have had a couple of Marantz AVR's, I still have one, and although it is quite decent for music, even in direct mode, it is not as good as a dedicated stereo amplifer. As it is less power and similar money to the Yamaha, the Yamaha seems to make the most sense.

hi everyone, trying to find the best sounding budget option. I checked the internet and YouTube for possible solutions but there are no comparisons so I am here to get opinions and suggestions. Idea is to stream music from Tidal and Plex server via network.

1st question, which will have better sound quality?​

a- integrated amp + music streamer (Marantz pm6006+ music streamer)
b- Yamaha R-N803D or Marantz NR1200

2nd question (if the answer of 1st is A), budget streamer vs blue sound node2i, huge difference?​

by budget, I go way low building a raspberry pi + volumio system. As Marantz has built in reference quality DAC, I would plug it in via digital out to Marantz´s digital in? Or any other possible budget solutions? I just don't want to invest 500€+ streamer.

opinions and suggestions highly welcomed as this question is bugging my head for days now :p

tia
1a.
2. Pi doesn't have digital audio output ports, just USB out or HDMI out.
So you would need something like a HDMI splitter to get the audio from the HDMI output.
Or a HiFiberry SPDIF board to add optical out.
Or use Hifiberry to add a DAC (or even an amp) to the Pi. Shop | HiFiBerry
That would then allow use of older (inc 2nd hand), non DAC equipped stereo amps.

What are the speakers to be used?

Hi, out of the options that you have listed, I would opt for the Yamaha R-N803D in pure direct mode, and an external streamer / DAC so that you can feed it a decent analogue signal.

Built in Streamer + ext. streamer? Idea of getting an amp with a streamer builtin is ease the action and cost.

1a.
2. Pi doesn't have digital audio output ports, just USB out or HDMI out.
So you would need something like a HDMI splitter to get the audio from the HDMI output.
Or a HiFiberry SPDIF board to add optical out.
Or use Hifiberry to add a DAC (or even an amp) to the Pi. Shop | HiFiBerry
That would then allow use of older (inc 2nd hand), non DAC equipped stereo amps.

What are the speakers to be used?

I was thinking to connect hifiberry to Pi to use its digital output. I have MA Bronze 2 at the moment, later thinking to upgrade to something better (B&W 607 or 606) or bigger (Q Acoustics 3050i).

Built in Streamer + ext. streamer? Idea of getting an amp with a streamer builtin is ease the action and cost.
Oh, okay, convenience and cost is one element, and sound quality is another, it depends on your priorities.

I think I found a good sounding solution. Pairing Marantz PM6006 with Yamaha WXC-50.

Connecting Yamaha WXC-50 to Marantz via digital so I use Marantz DAC over Yamaha. And this way I use Yamaha as a streamer only.

I found PM6006 used for 250€ , crazy price I think :D
And Yamaha WXC-50 for 200€, used

I think for 450€ this will be a better choice than Yamaha´s Stereo Receiver line, especially Yamaha R-N803D...

That plan would work - the downside with that is the power output of the Marantz PM6006, and, it doesn't have pre-outs, so is not upgradeable in that regard either.

The Yamaha WXC-50 is a nice device, and includes a pre-amp with a volume control, so you only really need a power amp to partner it with, or active speakers if you are thinking of changing your speakers anyway.

Alternatively, the Yamaha R-N803D is known to work well in analogue mode, which is why I mentioned it over the other two, as it has been measured. If you can get hold of a chromecast audio (no longer made, but plenty available on the used market) that would be a perfectly good DAC and streamer for not too much money.

That plan would work - the downside with that is the power output of the Marantz PM6006, and, it doesn't have pre-outs, so is not upgradeable in that regard either.

The Yamaha WXC-50 is a nice device, and includes a pre-amp with a volume control, so you only really need a power amp to partner it with, or active speakers if you are thinking of changing your speakers anyway.

Alternatively, the Yamaha R-N803D is known to work well in analogue mode, which is why I mentioned it over the other two, as it has been measured. If you can get hold of a chromecast audio (no longer made, but plenty available on the used market) that would be a perfectly good DAC and streamer for not too much money.
you mean pre outs for subwoofer? if its the case, which I want to add a subwoofer for the movies later on, I think I can connect it to WXC-50, which has a subwoofer out. Other then this, what possible future upgrade I can have?

I will definitely go and do a demo for Marantz and Yamaha before buying. Maybe this week, will give you feedback

you mean pre outs for subwoofer? if its the case, which I want to add a subwoofer for the movies later on, I think I can connect it to WXC-50, which has a subwoofer out. Other then this, what possible future upgrade I can have?

I will definitely go and do a demo for Marantz and Yamaha before buying. Maybe this week, will give you feedback
No, pre-outs to add a power amp.

Many integrated amps and receivers have pre-outs for the main channels (as well as for the subwoofer) which means that you can add external power amps to them for the main speakers (or use active speakers) and bypass entirely the power amp in the integrated amp itself.

I was thinking to connect hifiberry to Pi to use its digital output. I have MA Bronze 2 at the moment, later thinking to upgrade to something better (B&W 607 or 606) or bigger (Q Acoustics 3050i).
I have a Pi w/ a Hifiberry Digi + Pro w/ MoOde Audio running into the Coax of my Yamaha as301and it’s great. I use it for Apple Airplay and have a 128GB USB drive full of FLAC connected to it. It’s not the prettiest options but it works well enough and sounds really good. Entire setup cost me $200 USD.

I have a Pi w/ a Hifiberry Digi + Pro w/ MoOde Audio running into the Coax of my Yamaha as301and it’s great. I use it for Apple Airplay and have a 128GB USB drive full of FLAC connected to it. It’s not the prettiest options but it works well enough and sounds really good. Entire setup cost me $200 USD Including SD drive, USB drive and Hifiberry enclosure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom