1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Receiver advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Ess, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The in-laws are changing their old stereo system and they have been to Argos to look at the micro systems at about £99 :eek:

So.....

I have pursuaded them to spend a maximum of £300 and I will sort them out with a CD Player and a seperate stereo reciever. With a pair of bookshelf speakers, it will look and sound a lot better than Argos' efforts.

Trouble is, I am struggling to find the stero receiver in the price bracket required. Obviuosly, I could overspend in one department and underspend in another and to be honest, they will not know quality if it slapped them in the face.

It needs to be silver and they listen to CD's and Radio and I cannot see them ever looking into surround sound although its tempting to get something like a Sony STR495 or somthing which is £119 from richer sounds and press the Stereo button (if there is one).

Any ideas ???

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Does your £300 budget include cd, amp and speakers? Or have you already got the speakers?

3. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    my mate is a bit of an amateur dj and a few months back i found a Cambridge Audio A1 (dunno if they do a silver one?) and some Mission M71's, all for about £150 from richer sounds.

crackin sound for very little money...

4. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon M31 is reputedly excellent for a micro system and should be available for well below £300. Aren't the speakers co-designed with Mission or something?

5. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sorry, the budget of £300 is for all three. I was hoping to get each for around the £100 mark. I may take a trip to my local Richer sounds and see if they have anything on their shelves. :smashin:

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Adrianl

The speakers are made my mission for the denon M31 but badged as denon.

When I had one of these I didnt like the standard speakers to bought the system without speakers and bought a pair of mission M72i seperately.

You can get the Denon M31 for £180 and the Mission M71i for £100 both from Richersounds - for £300 it cant get much better without going into the second hand market

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Completely agree :thumbsup:

8. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Denon looks good guys. One problem is they they don't want anything too small as it needs to sit on top of a hi-fi cabinet and they specifically said they thought the microsystems they have seen would look odd. It would be an easy way out for me and once they saw it they may agree it looks the muts nuts. I'll maybe show them a picture and see what they think. :thumbsup:

9. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    as5606

There are the other bits they can add at a later date like the tape deck and that will give it a bit more of a seperates look