1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stereo quality of yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mbbx0bbr, Mar 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mbbx0bbr

mbbx0bbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a Yamaha DSP A3090. Am thinking of upgrading as I'm wanting better stereo sound (left/right).

I was thinking of a second hand Yammy A1 or A2, can anyone give me feed back on the quality of the stereo image of these amps?

Or would I be better off buying a dedicated 2 channel amp, and taking the pre-outs form my 3090 (or CD player)? Can u recommend any models around 250-350 pounds?

Thanks

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    IMHO, there is little sense in adding a power/integrated amp to improve the stereo performance of a receiver (using the pre-outs - as is SO often suggested) unless you bypass the receiver altogether and feed stereo sources directly into it.

It would make more sense to buy a decent processor and use the power-ins on your current amp (if it has them), by the logic that once you get to a certain level, power section tonality is largely identical between amplifiers but pre-amp characterisitics remain unique. Assuming the amps are capable of driving your speakers adequately, of course.

There are far more experienced people on these boards that can give you a more informed opinion, but that is the conclusion I have come to through my own, albeit limited, listening.

MuFu.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you go down the integrated amp approach, then you take the feed directly from the cd player to the amp bypassing the DSP altogether. You can connect the pre-outs to the integrated amp for movie playback

this thread should help

4. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely, he says drawing on 'knowledge' (but not yet wisdom) gained from others on this Forum, this is achieved by connecting your stereo source to the additional stereo amp by analogue connects, and using this routing for your stereo needs; only using the AVamp pre-outs to stereo amp connection for AV purposes, ie to drive the front speakers as 2 of your 5.1 speaker configuration.

In the set-up below, the connect between the Arcam to the AudioLab is analogue, and the connect between the Tosh510 and the Denon is digital/optical. There is an analogue connection from the Denon pre-out to the AudioLab (used in power amp mode), and hence the front speakers.

The first works fine for stereo music from the CD player. The second works fine for AV duties in both 5 channel mode and for stereo-only purposes from other sources (eg when cable TV or radio is the music source). Were I still playing music CDs on the Tosh DVD players, then I would input the analogue direct from the Tosh to the AudioLab (although there is always that option to add a DAC - cue entrance stage left ... of those who follow the DAC side).

For information, I first bought a s/h AudioLab 8000a for £200 and then upgraded to a s/h AudioLab 8000S for £300. There are many alternatives, both new and s/h in your price range, as a search on 'musicality' and 'stereo' would reveal.

Happy hunting

ditton

5. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As has been suggested, connect your stereo music sources directly to your 'music' ampflication for optimum quality.

My friend has the Yamaha 3090 and I have the A1. Although the A1 is a step up in terms of DSP & Decoding (if that's an issue...) and is a more capable amplifier (again if that's an issue) the improvement for two channel music is slight and I wouldn't bother to go down this path if it's just two channel music replay you are looking to improve.

Yummy Fur

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    When I had my A2, there was a spell when we 'had' to use it for stereo duties. Normally our hifi rig in the other room does that.

My hifi amp is a Densen Beat 100. The difference between them was night and day when it came back into play.

The Yamaha was acceptable, but no star. Maybe an unfair comparison, but it mainly showed that the A2 was great at cinema, but just ok at music. IMHO of course.

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    mxxbbofjseuygsdukyhxdf

Can i say that with the greatest of resoect a bit more on the old budget may be the way to a real up-grade.

What speakers are you running?
    What source (cd) are you using?

Steve.

8. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i had a 3090 and upgraded(?) to an A2 i dont think there is much difference between the 2 except DTS so iwouldnt bother going down that route maybe a second hand denon 3802? apparently denon are also good for music

9. mbbx0bbr

mbbx0bbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was thinking of upgrading to a yammy A2 or A1, just because my A3090 has been so enjoyable.

but after reading all ur comments, I have been looking at a dedicated 2 channel amp.

Has any1 got any comments on the NAD-C370?
    or a MUSICAL FIDELITY XA-2 ?
    Or would an Arcam 75+ do the job for me?

Also is there any integrated amp that have optical connections (digital/coax)?

bob

10. mbbx0bbr

mbbx0bbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    also is any1 know anything about

Audiolab 8000 (.)

or the Tag 60i (seen it for 350 quid)

are they better than the rest?

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I wouldn't even hesitate. I heard a Tag once. I thought that reviewers were too harsh by a long way. Good quality kit that you should like.

12. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that the Tag 60i is derived from the AudioLab 8000LX, which is not as good as the AudioLab 8000S, which in turn led onto the Tag 60RVi (which won prizes). If the seller of the 60i is Jamie, I'd give it a swerve.

ditton

gave a look at

http://www.artech-electronics.com/us/products/audiolab/

for AudioLab. As you may have gathered, Tag bought the company.

13. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Also is there any integrated amp that have optical connections (digital/coax)?"

The purpose of the amp is to boost the analogue signal. So you dont want to have a digital (coax or optical) connection into the amp.

ditton