Stereo preamp required

cs2008

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting a project to build some active loudspeakers, and I will need a suitable preamp to drive them, so recommendations sought.

It needs to support the following:
1. Analogue input for my turntable (I'm happy to use an external phono stage).
2. Digital optical input for TV sound.
3. Input for my CD player (can be analogue or digital).
4. Ideally, I would like built-in Airplay, for streaming from a Mac or iPad.

Do such things exist? The nearest I have found so far is the Marantz NR1508 AV amp, which has preamp outputs, although it does seem a bit silly to pay for 5 redundant power amps.

Maybe something similar to the Emotiva BasX PT-100 is what you are looking for as a stereo Pre-Amp solution. As it has a USB input, you should plug the MAC into that input and use the Apple iTunes remote to access your music from the iPad

JRiver as an alternative program also have a Remote via the iPad/iPhone (JRemote) which enables you to play music this way very simply.

If you do wish to use Apple and don't wish to connect MAC to the amp, you could always use Apple TV for the link and use the optical out on your TV for simplicity

Another option for a pre-amp is the Yamaha WXC-50, this has AirPlay built-in, but you would need a phono-stage for your turntable

Message sent

For the Mac, most of them have a combination 3.5mm port that is for headphones/line out or has an digital optical output as-well. This gives you another option if you are tethered.

Out of interest what actives do you have?

I was using an oppo sonica as a preamp for my tt and tv. has built in airplay, dlna and support for tidal/spotify. in addition it's the only dac under £1000 with ess sabres latest 9038 pro dac installed.

It replaced a creek evo amplifier paired with a chord mojo dac and been very happy with the sound upgrade.

I did also coonsider the Yamaha WXC-50. has everything you want also but comes in at £250 and is an absolute steal

Many thanks for the suggestions so far.

It tends to confirm what I have found, which is that all of the preamps on sale are frustratingly incomplete, and require a multi-box solution. The WXC-50 looks very neat and promising, but closer inspection reveals that it only has two inputs (one optical, one analogue), and multiple redundant outputs. Its USB input is for USB drives. I need three inputs plus wireless streaming.

The irony is generic preamps tend to end up being premium items - usually much cheaper to get an integrated amp and just not use the power amp. One of the cheapest I can think other than the emotive mentioned above of is probably the Rotel RC-1572 at way over a grand - for which you could get a really decent integrated amp.

Another option may be a collect of pro-ject boxes (pre-amp, phono-stage and a dac/streamer as separate tiny boxes) - I'm sure one of their ranges would have a suitable collection oof units, but then that would be multiple units.
I think the WXC-50 will not have sufficient inputs (just optical in and analog in IIRC).

Emotiva is probably about the only option.

Last edited:
Out of interest what actives do you have?

The active speakers are still a project under development. I have some good drivers from SB Acoustics, and I am looking at floor standing cabinets, either mass-loaded transmission line (MLTL) or proper damped conventional TL. Both look promising using the Martin J King software.

The active crossover will be 4th order Linkwitz-Riley at around 2.2kHz, and I have a number of options for the power amp design. I'm still undecided on whether to use conventional linear mains supplies (and risk being electrocuted!), or external power bricks.

Sounds interesting. You using the satori drivers?

Have you a build thread going on over at diyaudio?

Hyped plate amps would go well with the built in dsp for the cross over and also to take out and notches or room issues, fa122/252.

Hypex Electronics webshop

I think one of the most promising options is the new Audiolab 6000A integrated amp. That offers phono input, line inputs, digital inputs and preamp outs. You can also disable the power amps turning it into a preamp.

The only thing missing is the Airplay streaming, so I would need to use an Apple AEX for that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom