1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Playback

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hawklord, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Is my Denon avr3802 able to cope with a stand alone cd player. I'm very happy with it's multi channel performance, but I'm thinking of getting an arcam cd72 (or similar price ranged cd player) and was wondering if it was up to the job?

any suggestions?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye, just use stereo out from the CD player into the Denon's analogue inputs.

And press direct button, if there is one.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I was thinking more along the lines off is it off satistfactory quality to do a decent job or would it be better to get a seperate two channel amp and have all the extra cost involved or stick with me denon for both av and stereo material.:confused:

ta

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    A stereo amp will be higher quality ... but if you're prepared to later spend money on an integrated amp, why not buy the CD player now ... it will play CDs even through your AV amp better than most DVD players then later you can add the stereo amp after demoing to see if you think the improvement is worthwhile - most people think it is but not everyone agrees on how worthwhile it is for the cost.

Vikki

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm with Vikki on that one, but I'll add that stereo music played through my DVD player sounds much better through my integrated amp than my av receiver.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got the money, using a decent (£500+) Integrated amp will improve stereo sound.

Only worthwhile if you're into music, as I've found AV amps are mediocre in sound quality (for music) Good for films, but nowt amazing for hi fidelity.

One problem though - getting a better amp will show the limitations of the B&W speakers. I noticed my B&W 601's sound degraded when I upgraded from a AV amp to a stereo integrated amp, changing speakers just showed how bad the B&W's are. The 601's are very overrated speakers IMHO.

You didn't say anything about a integrated amp in your initial post. I'm not physic.

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I hope you have your flame retardant undies ready - Soundog loves her (their) B&Ws.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    what cd player would you all suggest would be a good match with my denon for the moment and that would go well with an itegrated amp if i choose to purchase one in the future? (budget<£500)

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Rega Planet 2000 £475, compared to my brothers Rotel CD player- forget the model, approx £300- the Rega voices sound less aggressive at the top end.

Although for the money Rotel is very good, also with HDCD playback.

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    What is the difference between HDCD to normal CD play back and how does it compare to SACD? Is it worth getting a player with HDCD functionality?

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDCD discs sound better than normal CD's- bass is alot punchier, you can hear more of the sound track. It seems to have more dynamic range, and voice is much better.

Although the HDCD decoder is supposed to improve any standard CD- but because you can't disable the HDCD decoder (on/off) you can't really compare.

Still if you have any HDCD discs, the inclusion of it won't bump the price up much.

Haven't heard SACD going.

12. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    since my system is all geared up more towards movie sound repro and not hi-fi stereo what are the implications for connectivety to my speakers. I know you have mentioned they're not currenlty up to the job , but, how do you connect the fronts to both the av and intergrated amps? do you just plug into the back of existing banna plugs or do you have to keep swapping plugs?- i do not want to have to purchase a seperate speaker package since my flat already has to cater for seven speakers already and space is limited..

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Not trying to start a fire ... but the OP has 602 NOT 601 which are very different speaks and are good when driven properly (and thats all I'm going to say on the subject!!)

Vikki

15. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Quite agree. I have been v. happy with their performance up to now. Can't imagine these babys being out performed by anything in a similar price range! (or am I just fanning the flames?)

16. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think that they're a fine pair of speakers & if you like them that's great (all that matters really). NS has a point about the 601s3 being over rated - WHF in particular seem to love them rather too much to be healthy (is it anything to do with the ads b&w place every month? the cynics ask)

17. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy

FWIW I added an Arcam CD72 to my Denon 2801. There was certainly an improvement over the Pioneer 535 dvd player I was previously using as a cd source but it wasn't massive. I did have doubts as to whether it was £400 worth of improvements.

I've recently picked up a discounted Cyrus 5 stereo amplifier for £350 and the improvement is massive - much more so that when I added the Arcam. However, I'm now probably hearing the full benefit of the Arcam for the first time as well so that has probably added to the improvements I'm now hearing.

My guess is that if you want to improve the hi-fi side of things you'll want both a cd player and a stereo amplifier at some point. I'd now be tempted (on my recent experience) to go for the amplifier first. However, I didn't get the Cyrus very long ago and have been busy since so I haven't been able to do any serious testing of a dvd player through the stereo amplifier against a cd player through the AV amplifier.

HTH

Regards

Richard