Stereo PCM audio when casting using Chromecast Ultra

nick2k83

Novice Member
Hi Good Morning

I am using a six year old Sony TV, a Sonos Bean gen 1 connected to the TV via HDMI Arc. I also have a sky Q box and a Chromecast Ultra connected to two other HDMI's these are not ARC enabled.

When I watch sky TV the sound output displayed on the Sonos App is usually Dolby Digital 5.1, or Dolby Digital 2.0, depending on the channel.

That's absolutely fine and when I go through the apps on the sky Q box to watch either Netflix, Amazon Prime Video or Disney Plus the sound is also outputted as Dolby Digital 5.1, as displayed on the Sonos App on my phone.

(I have the sound output set on my sky Q box to Dolby digital)

However, I often prefer to cast Netflix, Prime Video or Disney Plus from my phone to the Chromecast Ultra, because it's quicker and its easier to search on your phone.

When I do this though the sound I get is only stereo PCM, (as displayed on the Sonos App) and not Dolby Digital 5.1 and I don't understand why.

From what I can gather, the Chromecast Ultra supports Dolby Digital, I have checked the Chromecast settings and I have four choices in the sound options:

Auto Detect
AC3/EAC3 Surround Sound
AC3 surround sound only
Stereo Only

I have tried all four, but nothing changes the sound to Dolby Digital.

I have also moved the Chromecast Ultra into the HDMI port on the TV that is ARC enabled but that didn't make a difference either.

I would really appreciate if someone can explain the behaviour here and let me know how I can fix it.

Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom