Stereo -> floor speaker choice

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by rogerwilko, Feb 21, 2014.

1. rogerwilko

rogerwilko
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,
    - room is 10x13 feet, I will be standing with my back to a wall at 10 feet from the TV and the speakers.
    - I will mainly listen to music and secondly movies.
    - receiver= SONY STR-DG820.
    - source= PS4, .flac, BDs.
    - budget= somewhere around 500 £, flexible (100£ = 550 RON).
    - I can shop from:
    http://www.sono.ro/
    http://www.avstore.ro/en/
    Magazin echipamente audio auto si pentru casa
    - goal= clear/clean sound at low volume.

Questions:
    - what would be a wise of speakers
    - is the A/V receiver too old / outdated?
    - do I want/need a sub? If yes, which?

Thank you for your time

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. rogerwilko

rogerwilko
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Klipsch RF-42 II
    or
    MA BX5 or BX6
    or
    Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 or 10.6
    or
    Jbl Studio 290
    +
    Magnat Monitor Supreme Sub 201A?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I guess that depends on your objective. Bear in mind that this Sony receiver cost around £300 new so can't perform miracles but it's a well-reviewed product that appears to have refined audio which should make it good for music. As long as it has the features you require, I'd stick with it. However, I'd be hesitant to spend £500 on a speaker pair unless it was part of a longer-term upgrade plan. You may get different opinions on this point though.

That's trickier to answer. IMO, probably not in a room this small as long as the stereo speaker pair (I'm assuming were talking stereo and not multi-channel surround sound?) produce reasonable bass depth. Could always add a sub later if need be.

- what would be a wise of speakers

Not listened to any of the speakers you mention but I would limit my budget to more like £300 to £400, unless part of a longer term upgrade plan.

As to speaker choice, the best advice is to try before you buy because it's such a personal thing but I appreciate that's not always possible. I have no experience of passive speakers in this price range so can't offer suggestions but check out lots of reviews (don't make a decision on just one or two reviews) and see what's on offer. A few things to consider though:

Larger speakers will likely have more/deeper bass but often won't appreciate having their backs just a few inches from a rear wall, especially rear-ported designs.
    Too large a speaker in your relatively small room could end up swamping the sound with too much bass (maybe this could be reduced using the receiver's controls?) but maybe that's the sound you're after?
    A port-loaded floorstander with a 6.5" bass unit (or two 5" units) will almost certainly give enough bass in your size room for most folk - as will some of the larger standmounts but you'll need to budget for stands (£50 to £100). If you choose a floorstander with more bass drive unit area than this, consider a sealed-box speaker (or a ported speaker where the port can be 'plugged').

4. rogerwilko

rogerwilko
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the detailed answer.
    The reason I posted here is because I was hesitant, and I don't know much theory about how a sound system should be set up (Amps, Ohms, Impedance, size of the drivers and so on). I am slowly learning.

I do know how the music I like should sound like. For years I used my trusty Samson SR850 Headphones. I love they way music sounds. As I understand, the cost for making a room-system to sounds like that is... too high for my pocket.

I mainly listen to classical music (Mozart, Vivaldi, etc), Bob Dylan, the 50's, 60's, 70's that kind of things.
    I will keep reading / learning, for now.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I know nothing about your Samson headphones but you may well be right. It's really difficult to compare speakers with headphones because the sonic presentation is so very different. I've listened to one of the very best headphones available in the past (Stax Lamba) and whilst I appreciated its breathtaking midrange, I get more musical enjoyment listening to a mid-price speaker. Horses for courses and personal preferences, I guess.

Don't concern yourself too much with system set-up. Many speakers will be compatible with your Sony receiver but having scanned through the Sony manual, it implies speakers of 8 Ohm nominal impedance should be used (I can't see anywhere in the manual where this is explicitly stated though) so play safe and don't use speakers with a lower impedance than this. Ideally, the speakers you eventually buy should be able to handle around 100W max or more (which would approx match your receiver's power output) but this is not exactly critical - many of us use speakers with a lower power rating than their amplifier/receiver outputs and the speaker's don't come to any harm. Go mad with the volume control on some music sources and any speaker could be damaged, no matter what it's power rating is.

Sensible approach. So many questions posted on this forum are clearly from those who've not understood what they've just purchased.