1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Direct Questions

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by dfindlay, Jul 21, 2004.

1. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) I am in the habit of listening to music from my CD Player with my AVR300 set to Stereo Direct mode. I have noticed that (sometimes) when I switch to other audio sources (usually digital 5.1 or dts) the sound is "messed up". I have found that, even though the Stereo Direct indicator light is not on, if I press the button on and off again, the sound corrects itself.

Can someone comment on their experience with this or if I'm doing something wrong here? I thought I read that if you choose a different source, it's last setting should apply when you return to it.

2) I read somewhere in this forum that it is possible to involve the subwoofer with the Stereo Direct setting on? How is this possible? I know there is a "Stereo with subwoofer" setting but I thought that Stereo Direct meant bypassing all these settings.

Thanks!

2. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont think i have had the problwm with the sound messing up and listen to all my CDs in direct mode, it does automatically go into direct mode when i hit the CD input as it has remebered the last setting, and turns direct mode off when i select DVD input.

Not sure on the involving subwoofer in stereo direct mode, my understanding was that this didnt work in direct mode, only way i can think you could involve a subwoofer would be to wire in the high level input on the subwwoofer from your main speakers.

Spike

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This was an issue with earlier software versions of the AVR300, and is fixed if you update to the latest version (I think it's 2.78). You can find the SW version you have by pressing the front panel DVD and SAT buttons simultaneously.

As per page E20 of the AVR300 manual...

"Important note: When “stereo direct” mode is enabled, bass management is disabled. For this reason, “stereo direct” mode is not recommended in systems comprising small ‘satelite’ speakers, as the full-frequency information that would be directed to these units may cause damage to the speaker."

Dean

4. BigAl217

BigAl217

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    In order to incorporate the Sub in direct mode would need you to run a parallel connection from the amp left and right outputs to the high level input of the sub or from the speakers direct but as Dwette points out it is probably not advisable to run in direct mode to small satellite speakers.

Cheers
    Alan

5. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone - I'll do the software upgrade - mine is the original issue. Response re. the sub are what I thought but I read (obviously incorrect advice) elsewhere in the Arcam Forum that this was possible.

6. dfindlay

dfindlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd just like to report that, even after upgrading to software v, 2.78, I continue to have problems around the Stereo Direct setting mentioned above in point one. Although I haven't noticed the "messed up sound" anymore, I have noticed that (only sometimes) when I switch from a component using one of the sound processing choices to one that was playing in Stereo Direct mode, I get no audio at all in Zone 1. The correct audio does play in Zone 2. I can get audio in Zone 1 only by 'rebooting' the Stereo Direct setting.

Would appreciate hearing if anyone else has this problem or if Arcam is aware of it.

7. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    dfindlay, this is called processing crash, on some systems it can be corrected with simple software update, on the others hardware exchange (DSP)
    don't know about AVR300 however

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The current version is actually version 2.84. See my other other posts on how to retrieve this.

9. raymci

raymci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dfindlay, I have also had this exact issue you described... after listening to a CD in Stereo-Direct mode, if you then switch into e.g. DVD mode and play a 5.1 DVD, only the stereo channels play... you kinda notice after a few minutes when there is no dialog coming outta the center speaker! :confused:

To clear it, I normally use the MainScreen1 feature, scroll down to the Stereo-Direct option and turn it on/off again... generally, the Direct button on the front panel didn't help in my case.

I think the v2.84 software update may have fixed this, but I have not had much of a chance to verify this however.