Stereo CD problems with DVD137 and AVR350

nix

When I play CDs on the DVD137, I can either only get it to play in various multichannel formats from the 350 or a very strange dull sounding stereo. What am I doing wrong? I've tried hdmi, coax and stereo analogue connections and can't work it out. How do I set it up so I can here CD's in old fashion stereo? (and with sub too if possible in 2.1).

Cheers!

schiremath

When I play CDs on the DVD137, I can either only get it to play in various multichannel formats from the 350 or a very strange dull sounding stereo. What am I doing wrong? I've tried hdmi, coax and stereo analogue connections and can't work it out. How do I set it up so I can here CD's in old fashion stereo? (and with sub too if possible in 2.1).

Cheers!
Have you set to "Stereo" mode in your AVR350.?

nix

The audio mode on the 137 is set as:

Digital Audio output: Bitstream
DVD sample rate: max 96mhz
VCD mode: stereo
Dolby pro logic ii: off

Connected by hdmi (picture only) and coax to the 350.

In PCM stereo mode / stereo direct, I get the dull, low frequency sound. The speakers must be correctly connected because I get the right sound for music in the funny surround modes and in films.
I really don't like the surround modes for music as they really force the sound through the centre speaker and just sounds wrong, when I know the front speakers' levels are pretty much right.

johnrtaylor

Standard Member
The audio mode on the 137 is set as:

Digital Audio output: Bitstream
DVD sample rate: max 96mhz
VCD mode: stereo
Dolby pro logic ii: off

Connected by hdmi (picture only) and coax to the 350.

In PCM stereo mode / stereo direct, I get the dull, low frequency sound. The speakers must be correctly connected because I get the right sound for music in the funny surround modes and in films.
I really don't like the surround modes for music as they really force the sound through the centre speaker and just sounds wrong, when I know the front speakers' levels are pretty much right.
I had this issue when I auditioned the kit. The DV137 was only connected to the 350 by HDMI and optical. Movies sounded great but for some reason stereo was dull and lacked top end.

I got the guy at sevenoaks to connect the 137 to the 350's CD input with phono cables. The 350 CD input was selected with stereo direct, the sound was amazing, it certainly cured the problem and made me buy the kit.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Seconded - the DV137 should really have an analogue connection for CD.

nix

That doesn't work either!

137 is connected to the DVD inputs of the 350 by hdmi and coax. Connected to the CD inputs by phone. I play a cd and choose CD on the amp and stereo direct and I get a dull lifeless sound, with no top end at all.

I've done a little experiment..... If I play a cd via the coax to the amp in one of the surround modes, it sounds fine apart from the forcefullness of the centre. I then remove the centre speaker connection and I end up with the front speakers playing the same lifeless sound as I get in stereo.
Is it possible that my amp is refusing to send the full frequency range to the front stereo speakers when in stereo mode? Or could I have wired my speakers wrong?