Stereo AV Receiver or just use my Stereo system ?

SOULKATA

Novice Member
Stereo AV Receiver or just use my Stereo system ? { Possible buys or just replace my Amp ? Marantz NR1200 or Denon DRA 800H Stereo Receivers }
For Pioneer PDP Plasma Tv with Apple 4K Fire Qube 4K Mac Mini + Topping E30 Dac
To Arcam Alpha 8 Amp
B&W Speakers 601s
Moth Turntable and Denon Tape Deck
It's all wired up at the moment with HDMI { Old HDMI 1.3 i think } TO THE TV FROM APPLE 4K TV & FIRE QUBE & MAC MINI
I am using the X2 Phono red and white audio out to my amp { That plays audio from the tv the mac mini the apple tv and the fire qube and the audio from the tv speakers Great & Also using the Toslink audio out on the tv to my DAC { But that only plays audio from my DVT Well the audio from the free view or normal tv but when i leave the tv speakers on using the Toslink it plays out of sink with the tv and sort of echoes }
Also my mac mini goes through the DAC as well and that works fine

So i need a new amp Do i buy the AV Receivers or just an denon PMA600 Amp & use the same conections as i can also stream from my phone using Apple TV And when my computers is on like i have some kind of streamer
So will i be better of buying an AV and plug all the HDMIs into that { I am not bothered about 5.1 as Stereo will do me fine well maybe a Sub so its 2.1 }

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
If your TV has the facilities to take control of the AVR world, then just use your (existing) stereo and let the TV deal with everything, including the HDMI routing.

Not all TVs have adequate facilities, specifically analogue output (workaround: use the DAC to support its digital output, if present) and lipsync delay on the analogue / digital output (no workaround; get a better TV). In such a case you'll need an AVR to compensate.

Your post says that TV has analogue outputs that works for all sources, so I'd say you're all set to use the TV, in conjunction with you stereo system.

SOULKATA

Novice Member
If your TV has the facilities to take control of the AVR world, then just use your (existing) stereo and let the TV deal with everything, including the HDMI routing.

Not all TVs have adequate facilities, specifically analogue output (workaround: use the DAC to support its digital output, if present) and lipsync delay on the analogue / digital output (no workaround; get a better TV). In such a case you'll need an AVR to compensate.

Your post says that TV has analogue outputs that works for all sources, so I'd say you're all set to use the TV, in conjunction with you stereo system.
it all works fine but i will be needing a new amp soon so just thinking maybe an AVR instead

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
it all works fine but i will be needing a new amp soon so just thinking maybe an AVR instead
Because an AVR has so many extra features, you either have to pay rather more or sacrifice sound quality. OTOH, you didn't give a budget, which is why I used the Denon PMA600 you mentioned to estimate it.

For a purely stereo setup with a decent TV, the AVR doesn't add anything over what the TV already does. Hence my suggestion that you'd achieve a better return on investment with a stereo rather than an AVR.

2.1 AVRs are not all that popular for the reasons mentioned, so the few that do exist (e.g. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400, NAD M10) are typically rather expensive universal devices. The Arcam SR250 is discontinued, but you might find one somewhere (e.g. Richer Sounds have some to clear at £1K) - at the moment that's probably the cheapest decent 2.1 AVR you can get.

SOULKATA

Novice Member
Thanks Mark £500 for an Amp or AVR was my budget but really all my gear needs replacing including TV So it's just what i thought really
NAD M10 £2200 / Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 £4800 I never knew about these two but yes i could replace all my equipment for £5000 and get a really good system for that
{ Arcam SR250 £999.00 RS Was £1499.00 } I've owned many Arcam Stuff A 8 Amp A 8 power Amp A 7 CD Player A 10 Dab Tuner and they all have one thing in common That with time they all break and fall to bits but hay i have owned them from new may be 25 to 30 years but my first Pioneer stuff is still going now { Sa 606 amp 606 tuner Celestian Ditton 22s } they are super old. So i was looking for Reliability & Sound Quality { Have Arcam got any better or will the new stuff just not work and fall to bits ?? } Well with £500 Off ???
Whats the most Reliable AVR or Amp out there do you think ??

I am thinking of buying a Sub. So 2.1 I have seen a REL T51 Gloss black for £399 are these any good as i have never had a Sub before { I thought with B&W 606 speakers and maybe the SR 250 2.1 AVR Receiver maybe ?

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Whats the most Reliable AVR or Amp out there do you think ??
That's an easy one. Bryston analogue come with a 20 year warranty. Bryston digital only get 5 years though.

The £500 off for the Arcam AVR250 is because it's clearance of a discontinued model. Given your equipment, it seemed a good option if you wanted to go for a 2.1 AVR. I've not had my Arcam kit (see sig) fall to pieces. But frankly, longevity and £500 budget is an oxymoron.

SOULKATA

Novice Member
Well i have looked at some of your HI FI and well Ho my God Thats a lot of money there i can see. Well as long as you enjoy it that's the main thing Proper System Respect.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom