• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Stereo ariel cable

jat1964

Standard Member
I have a phillips DAB portable radio.....very pleased.....i would to connect it to a portable speaker....3.5mm......i have tried a normal cable with no joy

Any idea's

cheerz

jat1964:lease:

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
What is the Philips make and model ?
Are you trying to connect to a pair of speakers ?
The jack socket should be a 3 pole stereo type.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

jat1964

Standard Member
Hello

It's the phillips DA1000......The ariel is in the headphone cable.....I have a set of mini creative speakers that i would like to connect to the phillips

I thank you

jat1964:D

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Philips customer care say that you should can only use the supplied earphones because of the aerial.
This isn't totally true as I know of someone who tried some Sennheiser headphones and they worked fine.

The length of the headphone cable will make a difference in the strength of the signal you pick up.
Just be aware they may not work perfectly in all situations e.g. out and about in a built-up area.

External speakers should work, since they have a long lead, although you may have to position the cord in such a way as to get a good signal i.e. stretched out, not coiled up.

It's the lead that is acting as the aerial in both cases.
DAB digital radio actually makes use of multipath signals - analogue radio suffers from interference in the same situation.
You may also be able to use headphone splitters to add an extension aerial wire.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

jat1964

Standard Member
Thanks for your comments...... i have tried the 3.5mm stereo cable that came with the speakers.... no joy at all..... wondered if i could get a set of headphones adapted????

cheerz

jat1964:thumbsup:

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
I am not sure whether you mean the speakers don't work electrically in the audio sense (no sound , not even a mild hiss on full volume) or not working as an effective antenna - no signal.
If no signal, try my suggestion of using a jack splitter with more wire connected to the spare port.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

ProfessorYaffle

I've got a Bush PSBAB2004 and tried the wife's £4.99 Wharfedale passive speakers from Argos. Worked a treat. These are powerless (I understand powered speakers play havoc with the DAB signal, if attached). Other forums also suggest that 3.5mm jack splitters will not work effectively either for some technical reason.

The Wharfedale's won't give you stadium sound obviously, but are good enough for the casual listener - being Argos, you could get some, try them out & take them back if the Philips has issues with them. Can't see why it should as most DABs use very similar circuitry.

Out of interest, swapped the bundled 'phones for a Sennheisser pair and had no issues there either (but I am in a strong signal area). The difference in sound quality is very noticeable...

jat1964

Standard Member
That's the reason then...powered speakers..... will try the passive type..... what was the other headphones u tried please

cheerz

jat1964

ProfessorYaffle

Mine are Sennheisser MX300's - not top of he range, but far better in-ear phones than those supplied on every audio device I have ever owned. Got them in Singapore whilst there, but you can get them for less than a tenner online.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom