1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo AMP's with fixed gain input, where?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CrispyXUK, Jun 10, 2003.

1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi peeps,

I'm looking at adding an integrated stereo amp to my setup (Pioneer 626d DVD, Denon 3802 AV Amp, Ruark Contemporary II Surround Speaker system).
    This new amp if available will be wired to the pre-outs on my denon like mentioned alot on these forums. Problem is I would like the whole system remote control automated, as my whole family use the system too. I have macro's setup for switching to tv, dvd, cd etc. so if I add a stereo amp, from what i beleive, I will be continually adjusting two sets of volume controls, which makes life a mission :confused: .

Question is, are there any stereo amps that have a fixed volume on one of its inputs that is remote selectable? that way I can programme a macro for cd (AV amp; off > Stereo amp; CD input > DVD; play) and a macro for dvd (AV amp; dvd > Stereo amp; Fixed gain input > DVD; play), this way i only need to use one volume control for either cd or dvd.

Hope this all makes sense, hope you guys can help

Thanxs for listening

2. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Arcam A85 has a Fixed Processor mode which you select by chosing the 'Tape' input, this sets the gain to a predetermined level. This can be done on the remote as well so you should be able to program a macro. The A85 is a great amp but it's 800 quid.....I don't know what budget you are looking at.

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanxs for the quick reply, is this how yours is setup? £800 is a lot of money to me as i have just bought the 3802 recently, my budget would realistically be around £300 mark.

(after this problem is sorted ive got to get a good dac after for my DVD, it never seems to end this upgrading lark :rolleyes: ;) )

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audiolab 8000S has fixed gain input, available around £250. Although it requires a manual flip of a switch.

You could always build a DIY project with a servo, and IR reciever that turns the switch. :)

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have seen you mention this amp quite a bit, it sounds great, but i really do need it all remote control too keep the sanity in the house :). Just bought What hi-fi july 03, there is a new Marantz PM7200 at £340 which has a Class A mode and seems to have processor in/out inputs (is it fixed gain?), does anyone have any knowledge/experience of this amp, What Hi-Fi are raving about it.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    From looking at the rear pannel ... it appears that the Marantz you are talking about is like (most ... maybe all) NADs in that the pre and power amp sections are connected together externally with a small link. This would allow you to put pre-outs from your AV amp directly into the power amp of the Marantz ... however there is nothing to then switch back to the pre-amp section of the Marantz - only way would be with an external switch box.

I've looked at this quite a lot - integrated amps with unitary gain (fixed level) inputs and found there are very few. The Arcam A85 as you've meantioned, as does the A75+ (though I believe that is now officially discontined) and also I believe the new A80 will have it too - as did several of the older Alpha series amps. Beyond Arcam as Nathan says some Audiolab amps had it - but you will only get those second hand and the switching isn't possible by remote control. Then you start getting into serious money as far as I've been able to find out with Musical Fidelity A308 and many pre-amps also have the feature.

I do find it a real shame that no other manufactureres have managed to incorporate the feature into their own amps.

Vikki

7. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The A85 is hooked up to the 2011, and a macro has been done... so this would be an ideal solution if it was 400 quid cheaper... :)

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanx guys you've been a great help.

Arcam amps are ideal, as Ruark speakers are tested on Denon, Arcam, Roksan and meridian setups. So what choice of amps do people like me have in the Arcam range as I do not know much on there old amps?

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Ruark Etudes with 8000S/SX combo, sounds fab. :)

Also mate used Arcam's biamping setup with Etudes as well, and sound a bit too slow, not enough attack & dynamics.

Yeah Vikki forgot about that, although if you just stick to normal powering it'll be OK (just the 8000S)

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Nathan ... havn't you said previously that if you use the 8000S/SX combination that you loose the ability to have the fixed level input? Also what Arcam bi-amping setup have you used with the Ruarks as the new Diva series are very different in sound to the older Alpha series.

Crispy ... if you're prepared to hang on a month or two ... I believe there the new A80 will be out which will have the facilities you require at not much above your target cost. Otherwise look round for ex-demo A75+ (not the original A75) which will probably be going for bargain prices soon.

Vikki

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I have the Arcam A75+ coupled with the AVR3802. It works a treat and I bought it only about 6 weeks ago .I f you shop around you should still be able to pick it up. I paid £375 and got it from sevenoaks- if it's discontinued you might be able to get it even cheaper.

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I see you are really trying to sell me on one of those audiolabs ;)

1 question for you guys, can I assume the gain on most of these amps we are talking about can be adjusted slightly?

I see alot of people on this forum seem to use Arcam alpha 7, 8 & 9 series, can these be used with a macro setup too?

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Bought the new Radiohead album Hail to the Theif on Monday and it doesnt sound good on the 3802 at all, so this will have to be done;

Arcam A75+ or
    Arcam A80

If all else fails i will pop down to Ruark and see what they are using.

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    How about a secondhand A85 / or even a second hand FMJ A22 which will be less then a new A85 and I would have thought better?

I've seen FMJ A22s going for around £500ish

Seriously tempted to go for one myself. Sigh, new speakers, new stereo amp, new cd player... I think i've got an addiction. (Still nothing that a few million quid wouldn't help).

Steff

15. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Right, Ill be getting an A75+ or A85+ in the next few weeks depending on whether Arcam want to sell me one or not, once Ive got it and its set-up I shall let you know how much better it is.

Next Episode: New CD Player or a DAC :p

Thanx for all your Help Guys

16. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Anyone know if the Arcam FMJ A32 has a fixed level input suitable for the job discussed here? I don't see much detail on this on the Arcam website.

Thanks

Peter

17. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The A32 along with the A85, A75+ and the older A22 have fixed level inputs where the actual level can be altered. In the Alpha series ... I believe the 8R, 9 and 10 all had fixed level inputs as well - though some people have said that the fixed level inputs are electrically noisy on the older Alphas.

18. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    How about Rotel amps? do they have this option?

19. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Nope,

Well our 1060 didn't and from what I remember of the 97* they didn't :zonked:

All in all I think it was easier just to say Nope though I (vikki) thinks the RA1070 remember the volume that you leave each input set on ... but not positive about that.

Steff 'n' Vikki

:)

20. Whrrr

Whrrr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a bit of a gap here - last post June 2003! But my question really follows on from this. What is available in 2011 that would do this job? Are fixed-level amps available or would I need to buy second-hand? Or, are AV Receivers better these days? Could I expect good results for music playing from a "box" that also does surround sound for films?

For example, would I notice better music results from a Yamaha RX-V1067 or 767 rather than a RX-V667, even though I wouldn't need the extra features (such as dual HDMI output)? Or would a separate stereo amp be better for just CD and vinyl? If so, I'd like to use the same front speakers for both AVR and stereo amps...

Thanks,
    Mark

21. saabtech

saabtech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Harmon Kardon HK990 that I use in this way, It has a dedicated processor input that is remote switchable and the gain is adjustable in the set up menu. It also has 2 optical and 2 coax inputs as well as analogue and a balanced input for CD, + mm and mc for a turntable. Output is 150w per channel. Not cheap at around £800.00, but a stonking piece of kit.

22. androo

androo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the Arcam FMJ A18 allows you to do this. Can be found for just under £500.

23. Whrrr

Whrrr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0