1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Amps Revisited

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by stevie_mc, Mar 17, 2004.

1. stevie_mc

stevie_mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already posted a topic asking for advice on the best stereo amp available up to £150. I eventually went for the Cambridge A5 (£120) but I've been working feverishly with the old abacus and if i return the A5 I can go up to £250.

There are three amps in this range that have caught my eye - the Maraztz PM72000, the Rotel RA-01 and the Cambridge Audio Azur 640. Does anyone have any suggestions on which of these 3 models I should go for?

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    You could look around for an ex demo Arcam A75+ which is within your budget. It's an excellent amp and has recently been replaced by the A80 so can be picked up for bargain prices. It has the av in mode too so is easily integrated with an av set up:)
    Definatley worth adding to your short list imo.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PM7200 is an excellent amplifier, I am aware of rotels old stuff and they were all fantastic a bit more rockier than most so sound good with guitar music etc.
    Never heard a cambridge Audio amp, as I've never stepped foot in a richer sounds which is I believe the only UK source.

4. trevor g

trevor g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tnt audio.coms reading of NADC350A sublime

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    The one that sounds the best in your system, get a home demo of them all , them judge on them with your own ears.

6. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    trevor g, I'm sure the NAD C350 is a good amplifier. I used to own the cheaper C320 and better C370. The newer C352 is out which has already received a BB rating in HFC and 5* in WHF for the even newer silver version.

However, I sold my C370 after realising that an almost forgotten old amp I had lying around, shockingly sounded better.

That amp was the the Pioneer A400.