SwickS

Novice Member
Hi Guys,

I currently have the following set up,

PMC Twenty 23's
Musical Fidelity M5SI
Musical fidelity M3SCD

Its nothing fancy but works for me.

I have recently bought a new Panasonic TV and looking for recommendations on a 2.1 setup as standard TV speakers are pretty poor. I have a set of B&W 607 S2's lying about and intend on getting a REL T5i subwoofer.

I have been looking at the NAD D3045 for the following reasons,

-ARC connectivity (as toslink connection will not work when tv is mounted on the wall as it comes straight out the back of the TV and there will not be enough clearance between the wall and the TV)

-Option to add REL T5i subwoofer

Any recommendations would be appreciated, including your thoughts on the NAD D3045.

Streaming music is another feature that would be nice to have.

My budget is around £500.

Thanks for your time.

Sheldon

SJFC170514

Novice Member
I have the NAD D3045, and i really like it. I bought it for similar reasons to you (to connect to my TV), though i discovered my tv doesn't have HDMI ARC, it just has CEC, so i can't use the HDMI connection. I don't like the little remote that comes with the NAD, but you can set the amp up to learn your tv remote commands. Mine is connected to the TV via optical, and to Q Acoustics 3010i speakers and a Kanto Sub6 subwoofer.
Other options i have looked at are the Pioneer SX-S30DAB, and the Onkyo tx-l20d - both of these are slim stereo receivers with HDMI ARC and built in Chromecast and other streaming capabilities.
Another option to look at is the Harman Kardon Citation One amp. This also has HDMI ARC and streaming options. Retails at £550, but saw this for £475 last month on the Peter Tyson outlet on Ebay using a voucher code.

Going Grey Now

-ARC connectivity (as toslink connection will not work when tv is mounted on the wall as it comes straight out the back of the TV and there will not be enough clearance between the wall and the TV)
I’m guessing that you’ve already considered a right angle toslink adapter? Never used one myself, but there do seem to be plenty around. possibly, though, still not enough clearance between the rear of the TV and your wall.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
You could use your existing kit for the TV, add a DAC for the optical out (assuming the 90deg adapters work) and add the sub to the preouts on the M5si (if you need it). Dacs could be something like the SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk2. For streaming if it is a smart tv you could then use that or add a node 2i to your existing kit.

Edit - even if you main speakers are not either side of the TV your brain will adjust after a bit of a while And connect the dialogue with the tv Position.

just a thought.

Last edited:

Going Grey Now

and a DAC need not be that expensive.
When I first connected my TV to external speakers - via my stereo amp - I used a £25 Fiio DAC and although I’m not suggesting this is the way you should go, I was pleasantly surprised just how much it improved the SQ as compared to the very poor built in speakers in my TV.
Since then, I‘ve moved on and my TV is now connected, via optical, to my Schiit DAC.
Plenty of options if the right angle Toslink adapter can be made to work.

SwickS

Novice Member
Thank you for the advice, I have a Musical Fidelity M3scd which has an optical input and out put that I think can be used as a dac.

I have seen those 90 degree optical bends but Was not sure how reliable that connection would be (optical traveling through 90 degrees). My intension was to run 2 PMC Twenty 23’s with a Rel 5ti subwoofer providing I can use the MF M5si with the MF M3scd. If this is the case then I will use the B&W 607 S2’s connected to my IMac with a Nad 3045 or similar.

If I am unable to connect MF M5si to the Panasonic TX55GZ950b then I will use the B&W 607 S2’s with a stereo amplifier With an arc connection. Not sure which one yet, hence looking for recommendations.

Going Grey Now

Thank you for the advice, I have a Musical Fidelity M3scd which has an optical input and out put that I think can be used as a dac.

I have seen those 90 degree optical bends but Was not sure how reliable that connection would be (optical traveling through 90 degrees). My intension was to run 2 PMC Twenty 23’s with a Rel 5ti subwoofer providing I can use the MF M5si with the MF M3scd. If this is the case then I will use the B&W 607 S2’s connected to my IMac with a Nad 3045 or similar.

If I am unable to connect MF M5si to the Panasonic TX55GZ950b then I will use the B&W 607 S2’s with a stereo amplifier With an arc connection. Not sure which one yet, hence looking for recommendations.
I appreciate your comments about optical going through a 90 degree bend and regret I don’t have any personal experience one way or the other. However, if it was me (with my ‘don’t spend the cash unless I have to‘ head on), then I’d almost certainly give the adapter a go and see if I was happy with the SQ produced. if I’m not mistaken, this could potentially save the cost of a new stereo amp??

Sadly, I can’t advise on a stereo amp with HDMI (ARC in), apart from knowing that they aren’t plentiful. I’m sure there are other forum members who can help here.

Going back to your original post, are you also looking for opinions on a streamer?

SwickS

Novice Member
I will most definitely give the optical 90 degree bend a go. A streamer would be nice touch. I currently use tidal and one of the options I was looking at was a blue sound node.

Hoku

Is there a reason you don’t want to use your MF amp and PMC speakers for improving your TV sound? Is your hifi in a different room? Trying to see where you’re coming from.

SwickS

Novice Member
M5si will require a toslink connection and will not work when tv is mounted on the wall as it comes straight out the back of the TV and there will not be enough clearance between the wall and the TV.

@Going Grey Now has suggested using a 90 degree toslink connector. Which I will try.

Another option I have looked at is a ARC hdmi digital to analog convertor.

Going Grey Now

I will most definitely give the optical 90 degree bend a go. A streamer would be nice touch. I currently use tidal and one of the options I was looking at was a blue sound node.
Had I not gone down the Raspberry Pi route for streaming, then I would almost certainly have given the Node 2i a go. Now that I’m invested in the Pi ecosystem (and get on really well with it), I cannot justify a change.
As far as the Pi is concerned, then for not very much money you can be up and running in no time (with the proviso that you’re OK tinkering, certainly at the start). For someone wanting a ‘hassle-free’, working straight out of the box type solution, then the Pi probably isn’t it.
Incidentally, is that a USB input that I can see on the back of your M5SI?

Hoku

Seems huge overkill buying a separate amp and speakers when you can just buy an HDMI DAC and use your current set up, which I’m sure will sound infinitely superior to the amp/speaker options you’ve been considering so far.

Going Grey Now

There is a usb input in both the M5si and the M3scd.
in which case a very inexpensive way into streaming could be a Raspberry Pi v4 (not earlier), USB out into (say) the USB on the amp ( which clearly must have an internal DAC). Running (say) Moode (which I use), Volumio or similar.
Caveats;
my previous comments regarding “tinkering” to set up - and sometimes, to keep running, apply
The Pi is not normally the “prettiest” bit of kit in anyone’s hi-fi rack!
I use Moode to stream locally stored FLAC files only. The Moode forums indicate Tidal streaming possible, but I have no personal experience.

FaxFan2002

A toslink to the CD player from the TV would work using the CD player as the DAC, so TV -> TOSLINK -> CD -> AMP.

Not sure if the panasonic TV includes streaming software but if it does that then that would work in the same as the TV sounds would.

Adding a dedicated streamer - taking Blusound Node 2i as an example - could work by plugging the co-axial into the CD player to act as a DAC for it, or a direct RCA to the AMP (I suspect the DAC's will be about equal). Though I didn't enjoy the Node 2i to my M5Si / PMC setup.

3rdignis

If you're using your tv, the Apple tv device has an app for tidal.

Hoku

Thanks for the advise Hoku, any suggestions on an hdmi dac.

HDMI to RCA convertor

This was one I found on Richer Sounds' website. Just to make sure it works with the scenario you have in mind, it would certainly be worth calling them. They might recommend another model, but this should work. Seems a fairly inexpensive workaround.

SwickS

Novice Member
Thanks for all the advice, this will be the route I am going.

Optical from sky Q to Musical Fidelity to M3scd Atlas Hyper interconnects from between M3scd and M5si. 20ms delay via sky audio visual settings. Currently listen to this setup at the moment and it’s good enough for me.

Thanks once again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar