Stereo amp with sub out.

i240 Dan

Standard Member
My JVC home cinema amplifier has finally given up so I'm needing a replacement.

I only run two front speakers, Gale Gold monitors, and a BK XLS200 sub.

I'm not really interested in setting up surround sound but would like the amp to have a dedicated sub out.

Am I going to have to go down the AV surround sound stereo route or are there any cheaper twin speaker amps?

I'm looking to spend in the region of £100.

Cheers

Daniel

roh008

My JVC home cinema amplifier has finally given up so I'm needing a replacement.

I only run two front speakers, Gale Gold monitors, and a BK XLS200 sub.

I'm not really interested in setting up surround sound but would like the amp to have a dedicated sub out.

Am I going to have to go down the AV surround sound stereo route or are there any cheaper twin speaker amps?

I'm looking to spend in the region of £100.

Cheers

Daniel
You can either go second hand and look in the classifieds or
http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv365/yama-rxv365-blk

Which gives you the flexibility for surround and HDMI should you choose to later down the line venture that way. ( I know you said at the moment you are not)

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The BK XLS200 has high level inputs - meaning that it can be connected to the speaker outputs in parallel with the stereo speakers. This means that there is no need to find a stereo amp with a dedicated low-level subwoofer output (i.e. with an internal analogue - digital conversion => bass management / mixing => digital - analogue conversion processing chain), and you can happily use any integrated stereo amplifier you like.

i240 Dan

Standard Member
Does the BK sub require its own pair of speaker terminals or can it be connected to terminals also running a speaker?

My local Richer store have a CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640A V2 for £180.

This has two sets of speaker outs so would allow me some expansion in the future if I wanted to put another set in my dining room adjacent to my living room.

It also has a set of pre outs which it says can be used for a active sub woofer.

They also have a CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 340A for £60 less. Seems to have less outputs and power.

Any opinions on these amps appreciated

Dan

Davieboy00

Novice Member
Does the BK sub require its own pair of speaker terminals or can it be connected to terminals also running a speaker?
With a sub with high level connections you can just use the same terminals as your speaker cable is attached to. You don't need to have a seperate set of speaker terminals.

I connect a sub to my Arcam A38 with good results.

Can't give any comment on the CA Azur as I have never heard it but I am sure others will have.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Does the BK sub require its own pair of speaker terminals
No.
or can it be connected to terminals also running a speaker?
Yes. That's the idea.
This has two sets of speaker outs so would allow me some expansion in the future if I wanted to put another set in my dining room adjacent to my living room.
And that's another reason why you'd use the high level inputs to the sub. Using the pre-outs to drive the sub would mean you couldn't select just the dining room, switching off the living room speakers.

The CA AZUR 640A represents value for money and should keep you happy.

i240 Dan

Standard Member
Very good point about the room selection. That had not occurred to me.

I've purchased the AZUR 640A V2 amp from Richer.

Going to wire it up today.

Cheers

Daniel

dazzler9000

Very good point about the room selection. That had not occurred to me.

I've purchased the AZUR 640A V2 amp from Richer.

Going to wire it up today.

Cheers

Daniel

It's a cracking amp for the money. I was very impressed with mine, when I had one!!

tvdavid

I was going to get the Cambridge but went with a NAD C370 in the end.
Which was £185.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom