1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stereo amp with PLII?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andy_mac, Mar 7, 2002.

1. andy_mac

andy_mac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know if there are any stereo amps out there that also have PLII?

I am looking for an amp to work with Mission 780 speakers that will be used for music and as front speakers for my TV.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How could this work? Stereo amps have no processing or decoding capabilities and DPLII requires 5 channels of amplification, so a stereo amp is totally unsuitable for this purpose.

3. andy_mac

andy_mac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, sorry for the stupid question above. Rushed the post & didnt explain properly.

What I am basically after is an amp that just outputs Stereo & PLII.

I know you could get Stereo/PL amps before DD/DTS became so popular. Just wondering if it is possible to get amps with just Stereo & PL/PLII outputs or can you just get PLII with DD/DTS amps?

Andy.

4. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy this seems unlikely, as the manufacturers typically use Digital Signal Processors for sound decoding. The beauty of a good DSP is that is can be used to decode many types of sound formats.

So I am sure to get ecenomies of scale the manufacturers use DSP chips in their amps that can do DD, DTS, DPL, DPL2 etc etc.

THe only reason I can think that you would want this is if your DVD player has an onboard DD/DTS decoder.

The one in an amp is usually better than the DVD player. OK if you compare a high end DVD to a low end amp this is not the case. But in the same price range.

Rog

5. andy_mac

andy_mac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rnjones, thanks for the info.

the reason why i want this is because, as you guessed correctly, i already have an onboard DD decoder.

i want a stereo amp to connect a CD player up to, plus PL2 for all the videos & music I have.

i didnt think it was possible to have just stereo/PL2 from an amp without getting one with DD/DTS, just thought I'd enquire about it to put my mind at rest.

thanks again,

andy.

6. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy if your DVD doesnt have a DTS decoder a surround amp will have, (unless its really cheap and nasty). Then you can start to experience the superior DTS sound.

Just been setting mine up with my new sound level meter. And watching a bit of the Haunting in DTS. Yikes its got great sound.
    Rog