Stereo amp with HDMI - advice needed

SJFC170514

Novice Member
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of either the Pioneer SX-S30DAB or the Onkyo TX-L20D stereo receivers? I'm looking for a fairly compact/slim amp with an HDMI connection. The only other options I've seen are the Sonos Amp (don't have any other Sonos kit) and the NAD D3045, which are both £599 so quite a bit more expensive, but I haven't ruled them out.
Currently i have a Denon PMA-30 connected to Q Acoustics 3010i speakers, and a Kanto Sub6 subwoofer. Tv is connected via optical, Chromecast Audio to the other optical connection, and I have my AT-LP5 turntable connected to the analogue input via a pro-ject phono preamp.
I'm actually quite fond of the Denon amp, i'd just like for myself and the family to be able to control the amp volume from the TV remote. I know Marantz and Yamaha have slimline receivers, but they are too high for my requirements (needs to be less than 10cm), as i 'd end up having to buy a new TV unit to accomodate!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
As an alternative do you think you could persuade your family to switch to using a Harmony remote for everything.

One tip of you do switch to a universal remote hide the other remotes well, they'll soon get used to it. My Mrs actively would using my remote, I hid all the individual ones away, she picked it while muttering under her breath but hasn't looked back since, I even left the old remotes again and she ignored them.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I don't have a Harmony myself but still have a long discontinued Philips Pronto remote.

If I was looking to but a Harmony remote it would definitely be one of the hub based ones. Sorry can't be any more specific than that.

dion 6

I have thought about universal remotes. Which model of Harmony remote do you have/would you recommend?
The latest is the harmony elite
I have thought about universal remotes. Which model of Harmony remote do you have/would you recommend?
I've got a harmony ultimate but the latest model is the Elite I would totally recommend them its all I use to control 5 different devices its quite expensive at the moment on Amazon at £248 but it drops all the time I would wait till Amazon prime day or black Friday its been down to £120 there is random price drop in between so keep a eye on Amazon and the bargain thread on avforums

SJFC170514

Novice Member
Thanks - might try with one of the more basic models. The Harmony 665 looks to be pretty well reviewed and is a decent price.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom