Stereo amp to pair with Wharfedale Diamond 230s - Yamaha A-S201?

alpha2112448

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Would appreciate some help picking a stereo amp for a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 230s that I just picked up. Budget is around £200.

I will be using an external DAC. I already have the ifi Zen DAC which I'm happy with and the source will either be music streamed from my server to a Raspberry Pi or my iPhone, both connected to the DAC via USB. Therefore I don't needs all the bells and whistles some of the amps out there are offering. I need no digital inputs or DAC.

I'm eyeing up the Yamaha A-S201 since it offers 100 W per channel at 8 ohms and I'm assuming since I do not need a DAC or other features I should, in theory, be getting more 'amp' for my money by opting for an amp without these. I can get one second-hand for about £120. The only problem I'm having is I can't find much information or reviews on the A-S201. Doesn't seem like a popular choice.

Is there anyone out there with this amp that can comment? Alternatively is there another amp I should consider? I've seen the A-S501 recommended a few times. There is also the compact Yamaha A-670 for £199 at Peter Tyson. But I have no experience with large speakers and no idea what kind of power I need.

Top class speakers sir. I hope you enjoy them.

To that end I’d suggest you consider this

Or

Both excellent amplifiers with the usual splendid current supply by Rotel.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ps, power is not usefully understood by the claim of wattage on any given amp.

What is much more important is the robustness of the power supply and the available current.

Either of these two would be fine buys too. An offer would likely be accepted here.

Or.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Any of the amps mentioned above should be fine. I'd guess that your Yamaha suggestion should be fine also. The wharfedale are an easy speaker to drive

I would suggest you have a look at the classifieds here also, often a bargain to be had

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom