1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Amp to Compliment STR-DB930

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stephenc, Jul 12, 2001.

1. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    I have a Sont STR-DB930 which is great for DVD's, but I find stereo music, radio, CD's etc. a little thin, tinny etc.

I would like a stereo music amp that will compliment the Sony mulyichannel amp.

I am currently using the Mission Cinema 7 srries of speaker, i.e. 773e floorstanders as my L&R's.

Any idea's people??

Cheers,

Stephenc.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Wouldn't take a stereo amp but rather a 2 channel power amp. Rotel makes some good ones for sensible money.

3. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Thanks, however, forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a stereo music amp and a 2-channel power amp.

Secondly, how will I know if it compliments my Sony STRDB930 or overpowers it etc.??

Thanks again,

Stephen.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Stereo amp normally refers to an amp with several (selectable) inputs (CD, Tuner etc) and volume control, i.e. pre-amp function, and amplification to drive the speakers.

A power amp (can be also 'stereo' = 2-channel or like in AV systems usually 5 channels) has no volume control and just one input connected directly to the power amplifier stage (actually one input for each stage).

There will be no overpowering as more power will just give you a higher dynamics (more "headroom"), however the difference in gain could somewhat unbalance the volume between the speakers driven by the power amp and those driven by the internal amplification.
    Therefore most manufactures offer gain-matched power amps (not sure about Sony).
    Alternatively use a 5-channel power amp if it fits the budget.