1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo amp to AV receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Andrew, May 6, 2003.

1. Mr Andrew

Mr Andrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been leant an Arcam Alpha stereo amp and would like to use this for music within my setup, currently a Yamaha RXV496RDS AV amp and the KEF eggs.

The question is, how do I connect them?, Do I have to buy separate speakers or is there some way of switching between the two?

Thanks

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm...yes I plan to buy a dedicated AV Receiver to compliment my Arcam stereo amp but I still want to use the same speakers. So I would like to know this question too.

I assume you would need to use some form of speaker wire switching box, although how this would affect the quality I'm not sure.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    You need an AV amp with preouts to feed the Aux channel on the Arcam, some have a switch that lets you set it to a power amp only, no volume control, alot of people use this so have a search!

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean a switch on the stereo amp to set it to power amp only mode?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Yep that be the one forget the name that the use Sound dog is the one for this stuff!

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just connect the front pre-outs of the AV amp to a line input (e.g. AUX) of the stereo amp. Front speakers and all stereo sources remain connected to the stereo amp while all AV sources connect to the AV amp. The AV amp can be turned off when listening to music (stereo).

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    The problem with KEF Eggs (and similar) used with such a setup is that for Home Cinema, you need the sub connected to the LFE output of the HC amp. But if you do this, when you use the Stereo amp direct for music, you won't have any connection to the sub for any bass.

The compromise is to set your HC amp to "NO" sub, LARGE fronts and SMALL everything else. Now you connect the sub to the High Level input via the stereo amp. The HC amp will push the bass to the front speakers, which will then be retrieved by the sub via the High Level input.

Vikki

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    Or, rather than using the high-level inputs, you could use an external cross-over device (such as Paradigm's X.30) in between the front speaker line-outs and the power amp.

9. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,432
    Bloody hell, its all clever stuff, innit!:blush:

10. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    If all this is too complicated for you, you can take a simpler path although there will be a compromise in sound quality. Connect the pre-outs from the av amp to any spare line in (except phono) on the stereo amp. However, connect all sources including CD to the AV amp. Front speakers driven by stereo amp, all others by av amp. Keep AV input on the appropriate one (ie the line in that you used). Find the volume on the stereo amp that equalises output to av amp's (probably around 12 o'clock position) and keep it there. This way the stereo amp acts as a power amp although there will be two pre-amp paths.

11. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't this make the speaker volumes for front and rear unbalanced if you adjusted the AV amp voume, you'd have to adjust both and then muck about to get them balanced again every time you want to adjust the overall volume. Dunno about you but I can see this getting frustrating.

Surely ther must be some sort of speaker wire splitter.

How about using banana plugs for the front speakers and just switch them over when you want to switch between stereo amp and AV amp.

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nope, you only need to level the volume once, then remember (mark) the position of the volume knob at the stereo amp for AV use.
    When you want to watch a DVD set the stereo amp to that position and then you can control the system volume from the AV amp (since the pre-outs are also volume controlled).

Speaker switches are an alternative, but you need to get up for that. :D

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    But if you just connect KEF Eggs to your stereo amp for the fronts, and the sub to the AV amp via the Low Level connection, then when you play stereo music you'll won't have anything sent to the sub.

Nick ... or yes use an external bass management device like the Paradigm X.30 ... if you can get one from Richer Sounds (or second hand).

dood ... yes you could do that ... but it would be pretty pointless as (unless you are using difficult to drive speakers) adding "just" a power amp to most AV amps - certainly more budget amps - doesn't make much difference to stereo sound as the bigger problem is in the pre-amp section of the AV amp, not the power amp section.

Vikki