Stereo amp recommendations

redwoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum (after reading through for a couple of weeks as a non member).
I'm looking to add a stereo amp to my existing set up & would like to ask you knowledgeable people for any recommendations please. I listen mainly to rock/blues AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, early/later Fleetwood Mac etc on vinyl/cd. My system is a Rega Planer one Record store day edition (built in phono stage), Denon DCD-800NE (new yesterday after my old Marantz CD52 CD tray gave up after all these years:)) these are fed through my Denon AVR-X3500H & then to my QA 3050i home cinema speakers (just the floor standers for the music).
So as I say I would like to add a dedicated stereo amp & any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, my budget is about £500, if that's enough to get an improvement, please advise & am I right in thinking I can connect a new amp through the AVR so I don't have to unplug speaker wires every time I want to listen to music ?
Many thanks in advance.

Ideally you would need an integrated amap with HT bypass (called other things like processor mode, pre/power mode etc.) so you can integrated it into your AVr and run your cd and turntable through the stereo amp.

Here's a list of stereo integrated amps with HT Bypass:

I use an Audiolab 6000A in this manner in my setup. Iirc there was one listed in the classifieds on these forums.

Here's a list of stereo integrated amps with HT Bypass:

I use an Audiolab 6000A in this manner in my setup. Iirc there was one listed in the classifieds on these forums.
Hi, many thanks for that & yes I noticed a AL 6000A for sale on here as well. Would you know if the Denon PMA-800NA has HT bypass/suitable ? (I nearly got the 800 CD player & amp as a bundle). I've had a look & can't find HT bypass mentioned.

Ideally you would need an integrated amap with HT bypass (called other things like processor mode, pre/power mode etc.) so you can integrated it into your AVr and run your cd and turntable through the stereo amp.
Hi, many thanks for your reply, I'll have a look for an amp with HT bypass (@Jester1066 has posted a list to look at) & find some reviews for the ones I hope will suit (get a demo if new).

Hi, many thanks for that & yes I noticed a AL 6000A for sale on here as well. Would you know if the Denon PMA-800NA has HT bypass/suitable ? (I nearly got the 800 CD player & amp as a bundle). I've had a look & can't find HT bypass mentioned.
Unfortunately that particular Denon doesn't have HT Bypass.

Fwiw: if you're after a CD Transport then the Audiolab 6000CDT is a perfect pairing for the 6000A. Note that the 6000CDT is a CD Transport only (has no onboard DAC), so will need either an integrated amp with DAC (ie the 6000A) or seperate standalone DAC.

Edit: Here's an example of the Audiolab combo:

Unfortunately that particular Denon doesn't have HT Bypass.

Fwiw: if you're after a CD Transport then the Audiolab 6000CDT is a perfect pairing for the 6000A. Note that the 6000CDT is a CD Transport only (has no onboard DAC), so will need either an integrated amp with DAC (ie the 6000A) or seperate standalone DAC.

Edit: Here's an example of the Audiolab combo:

Thanks again but I only got my Denon DCD-800 yesterday that's why I wondered if the Denon 800 amp has HT bypass (then I can work them off one remote) but if it hasn't then the Audiolab 600 on here will be an option.

Thanks again but I only got my Denon DCD-800 yesterday that's why I wondered if the Denon 800 amp has HT bypass (then I can work them off one remote) but if it hasn't then the Audiolab 600 on here will be an option.
Unfortunately the first amp in the current Denon range to have HT by-pass is the PMA 2500NE, which is a cracking but somewhat expensive amp. As an alternative to buying a HT by-pass amp a speaker switcher such as the excellent Beresford TC7220 could solve your dilemma along side the PMA 800.

Unfortunately the first amp in the current Denon range to have HT by-pass is the PMA 2500NE, which is a cracking but somewhat expensive amp. As an alternative to buying a HT by-pass amp a speaker switcher such as the excellent Beresford TC7220 could solve your dilemma along side the PMA 800.
Was about to post the same!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom