Question Stereo Amp / Home Theatre System

CaptainJames

Ex Member
Reaction score
So apologies if I'm covering old ground, I know there are a few posts around on this subject but I just want to make sure that I have got it clear in my head.

I currently use my Pioneer SC-LX79 for stereo music as well as TV/ movie duties, and I think it does a pretty good job. However, I understand that using a dedicated stereo amp for music could be a worthwhile upgrade. So in order to do this, am I right in thinking that I need a stereo amp with "Pre in/Bypass" connections, then connect this to the Pre outs on the AVR, and then connect the Front L/R speakers to the stereo amp?

The volume of the Front L/R is then still controlled by the AVR, while the stereo amp provides permanent amplification for the fronts regardless of whether in stereo or multichannel usage? If I have got this correct, would it therefore make sense to just use a stereo power amp rather than an integrated unit?

would it therefore make sense to just use a stereo power amp rather than an integrated unit?

No because for the 2ch music sources you need the amp to provide volume control which a power amp would not provide.
Unless you connected the sources to the AVR - but that almost entirely defeats the purpose of running that setup in the first place. The reason for an integrated amp (with HT bypass) is so that you can cut out the AVR entirely for music playback. I.e you are therefore not using it's pre-amp section and DAC etc - which are the main cause for a lack of quality compared.

No because for the 2ch music sources you need the amp to provide volume control which a power amp would not provide.
Unless you connected the sources to the AVR - but that almost entirely defeats the purpose of running that setup in the first place. The reason for an integrated amp (with HT bypass) is so that you can cut out the AVR entirely for music playback. I.e you are therefore not using it's pre-amp section and DAC etc - which are the main cause for a lack of quality compared.

OK, yes that makes sense, thanks. So while I don't know about the quality of the Pio's pre amp, I do know that it runs Sabre ESS DACs, which could explain why it's not totally shabby with music then.

Although using a stereo amp with HT bypass is easier, there are options to use any stereo amp.

To do this you would need to keep changing the volume manually. The input where the AVR is connected is likely to require a much higher volume than the input where your musical sources are connected. And you will need to make sure you get the volume exactly correct when you return to the AVR input, easy if a digital volume display. Might need a little sticker or marker if it is an analogue volume.

Or.. use a speaker / amp switch and just share your front main speakers between the AVR and the stereo amp.

Using a stereo amp with HT by-pass is the easiest way to get better stereo music, providing that you can run all your music sources into the stereo amp. It's easy to set up and use. There's also a benefit to the receiver as the burden of the front left and right are now consigned to the stereo amp which works as a power amp in surround sound use.

Here's a list of amps with HT by-pass. I use a Rega Elicit-R in such a configuration.

Using a stereo amp with HT by-pass is the easiest way to get better stereo music, providing that you can run all your music sources into the stereo amp. It's easy to set up and use. There's also a benefit to the receiver as the burden of the front left and right are now consigned to the stereo amp which works as a power amp in surround sound use.

Here's a list of amps with HT by-pass. I use a Rega Elicit-R in such a configuration.

Thanks Gibbsy. The Rega is a bit above my paygrade, but I am taking a look at the Arcam A20.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom