Stereo amp for digital sources

Slenver

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need a new amp. It'll be used for stereo digital sources only, predominantly a Sonos Connect, but also a TV output and PS4. While I want to connect the TV and PS4 for games and movies though, my interest is in getting the best sound for music.

I currently have a pair of Quad 12L2s, and also an Arcam AVR280 which has been replaced for surround duties in another room. I'd originally intended to use the Arcam on the basis that it's not worth much to sell, and although I don't need its surround services it sounds decent for music and of course has digital inputs.

Having unboxed it again I realise that it's so pregnantly massive that it will never fit in the cabinet I've just bought. So sell it I will and want therefore to buy a dedicated (and smaller) 2 ch amp.

I don't hugely mind whether it has digital inputs integrated, upgraded internally or from a separate DAC, though minimalism is always preferred.

I could spend up to a grand I suppoee, though obviously won't if I don't need to. But I'd like the best audio experience I can get, matched with the Quads.

Any suggestions? I've always fancied a Cyrus and could get the 6a with the internal DAC upgrade. Or there's the NAD 7050 that's been getting good reviews. Or a million other amp and DAC pairings.

Has anyone any experience also of Peachtree? Found them discussed on a U.S. forum and they seem to get some very good reviews, though very little press generally. They're selling their older model Decco65 for £499 which seems very good. But like I say, I'm happy to spend more.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated. The room btw is around 5.5 x 4.3m, and I listen to everything from classical to heavy rock.

Give us a working budget? It is somewhat implied, but it is better if you just tell us.

Any requirement? Any Limitations?

Steve/bluewizard

The Quad Vena is a good place to start, giving you two optical digital inputs, a coaxial digital input, two USB inputs (one Type A, one Type B), as well as a couple of digital inputs and Bluetooth connectivity.

There's also the Naim UnitiQute2, which will give you two optical digital inputs, two coaxial digital inputs, and a USB input, as well as streaming options for network stored music, Spotify, and Bluetooth connectivity.

The Quad Vena is a good place to start, giving you two optical digital inputs, a coaxial digital input, two USB inputs (one Type A, one Type B), as well as a couple of digital inputs and Bluetooth connectivity.

There's also the Naim UnitiQute2, which will give you two optical digital inputs, two coaxial digital inputs, and a USB input, as well as streaming options for network stored music, Spotify, and Bluetooth connectivity.
Thanks. Hadn't heard of the quad, will read up on that.

The unitiqute seems popular and I'd thought about it before. I suppose the only reason it's not an obvious choice is that I've plumped for the Sonos route and do don't need the streaming options, but I should probably still consider it.

It really depends which aspects of Sonos you're going to be using. If it's just Spotify and/or network streaming, the Naim will do it.
Good question...

I have some other small Sonos speakers around the house, but still wasn't that bothered about using it in 'my' room. The main reason now is that I use Deezer and Sonos have exclusivity to their lossless streaming. Other than that, I stream from my own lossless files on a NAS.

So although I'm not tied to the Sonos, it just ended up making sense using it. It means I have one method of controlling all the music around the house too which is just a bit simpler and tidier. I used to exclusively stream from my iTunes library where I've ripped my 600-odd CDs to Apple lossless, to an Airport Express, but I've almost exclusively moved to streaming stuff now, and obviously the option of lossless streaming through Deezer/Sonos is tempting.

Give us a working budget? It is somewhat implied, but it is better if you just tell us.

Any requirement? Any Limitations?

Steve/bluewizard
Yes, about a grand. Requirements are for digital inputs from Sonos, TV etc to maximise audio quality.

Hi

i 2nd the unitiqute 2 of which there are 2 versions of this with the latter having bluetooth and spotify.
At 30wpcs/8Ω Its not high in power but its a quality 30wpc. If you don't mind second hand, you could pick up a UQ1 for around £500 and a UQ2 without BT or Spot £700-£900 depending on age.
Physically, there's not much difference between the UQ1 and UQ2. The UQ1 has a RS232 input whereas the UQ2 has Mini usb input for updates. The UQ2 is also 24 bit/192kHz

There was a thread that was started to list all the stereo amps with onboard dacs that members could add to as and when they came across any. If i find it i will post the link

There is also the Harman kardon HK3770 stereo receiver which has the required amount of digital inputs but can also stream using DLNA but the sonos may well be better at it.

HK 3770 - Home £430

And while its still selling is the yamaha RN500 which is simlar to the HK3770 above
Yamaha R-N500 Network Stereo Receiver £320

Hi Slenver,

I am in the same predicament as you.

I listened to the Rega Brio R and it seems a v.good amp. However I would then need an external DAC.

It seems no-one is able to offer advice as to how the Brio v NAD 7050 sounds.

I am now debating whether to order the NAD to demo, compare against the Rega, then possibly return it.

Space is an issue, so I am against the monster boxes of Yamaha etc and I only have a small living room to fill soundwise. I also looked at the Quad but again its difficult to demo with no dealer tending to stock most amp manufacturers.

If you do hear the NAD D 7050 let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I'm just about to switch to a NAD C 390DD. It is all digital, unless you add optional modules. One such module allows it to act as a Bluesound client. So I will have amp / dac / streaming / dsp all in one box. I'm looking forward to the simplicity (and cost difference).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom