Stereo amp + AV receiver

m4xen

Novice Member
Dear

I want to add a stereo amp for music and connect it to my Yamaha RX-V781 AV receiver. I have the possibility to go from pre outs in Yamaha to aux in the stereo amp and use speaker terminals from stereo amps to my fronts.

If connecting like this, who is pre-amp master? If I play on google chromecast connected to Yamaha HDMI input?

gcowie

Novice Member
If looking at an integrated stereo amp, you need to buy one with an 'AV bypass' input. It can also be refered to as 'processor input' etc. Connecting to one of these inputs bypasses the pre amp on the stereo amp, using the pre amp on the av receiver. This means you also bypass the volume control on the stereo amp, using the av receiver to set volume as normal, with no need to adjust both volumes to match the fronts with the rest of your speakers.

I am on a similar journey using a stereo amp for music hooked up to an av receiver for movies/surround.

m4xen

Novice Member
Hi Thanks for reply.

If that is the case. If using google chromecast for music connected to AV Receiver input, will the AV reciever act as pre amp for the sound even if fronts are connected to stereo amp? (As you say, it bypasses the pre amp)

How can the pre-amp in the stereo amp be used for music? By adding a new chromecast audio plugged in one of the inputs behind the stereo amp?

gcowie

Novice Member
Yea if you want use the preamp built into the integrated stereo amp, you need to connect directly to one of its regular inputs. Only certain integrated amps have the av bypass feature by the way, mines is a Naim 5si. I'll be connecting my av receiver front preout to the av bypass input and a bluesound node to one of the normal rca inputs on the naim.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom