1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo amp around £500?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Daneel, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm considering upgrading my speakers to something like B&W 704s, possibly 804s or 9 NTs second hand. I've also been told to consider the Quad L range and I'm having a listen to the MA GR20s. I will add a CD player in a few months once the funds come together (just use DVD player for the moment).

Up for consideration so far are:

Arcam A80/85
    Roksan Kandy MK III
    NAD 372
    Marantz PM7200 / KI Signature version (struggling to find out what justifies the large price gap between these)

Are any of these suitable, what else should I consider?

Anyone know of 2nd hand kit around that I might pick up?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would definitely recommend Rotel's RA-1072, which is just stunning - both aesthetically and in performance. I think it retails over your budget though, at £595. But it's worth the extra, and would have no difficulty driving the speakers you mention you're considering buying.

How much of an improvement it is, however, over your VSX-D2011, has to be considered. To significantly better your receiver in stereo I'd imagine you'd need to spend a little more than you've budgeted for.

I haven't compared the stereo performance of your Pioneer and such Rotels, so am only guessing. I'd advise you to 'borrow' an amp from your local dealer before making any descisions though.

3. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    You can pick up a second hand Arcam FMJ A22 for around £500. Better than an A85 and beats my Pioneer 2011 hands down in stereo.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Godfather, can you point me in the direction of such a deal?