1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Amp and speaker to improve sound from TV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by christeasdale, Jan 15, 2003.

1. christeasdale

christeasdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC Widescreen TV and am not impressed with the sound quality from the in built speakers. I am thinking of purchasing a stereo amp with 2 speakers to improve the sound, as I haven't really the right room for a full surround sound system. Does anyone know of a good system with 2 speakers no more than £200

Cheers

Chris:eek:

2. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it depends what your goal is really.

If you just want to get a better sound than you'd get from the TV speakers then pretty much any separates amp and speakers will do the job - including the 20 year old kit some people virtually throw away these days.

On the other hand, I suspect once you get decent stereo sound you'll like it and want to get surround sound, or at the least a centre speaker as well.

My advice for what it's worth would be to take a look in your local Richer Sounds, or on their website and get a feel for what's available - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you can get for £200 that will also give you plenty of upgrade potential.

regards
    Paul

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A pair of Mission m73s (~£100) and a suitable ~£100 integrated amp (perhaps look at something second hand) would be a really nice upgrade from typical TV speakers. If you spent slightly more on a quality amplifier you could keep using it for 2-channel duties if you ever decide to go for a full, receiver-based 5.1/6.1 setup.

MuFu.