1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo amp advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sounddog, Dec 20, 2002.

1. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Hi

Not sure if anyone will see this in time to reply but ...

I've decided that I'm going to buy a stereo integrated amp for music leaving my SR5200 for surround duties.

I'm interested in the Arcam A75 plus, but have been adviced that my B&W 602S2 would maybe be better with a higher powered amp and have been recomended a NAD C350 or C370 or the Rotel RA02 instead.

Can anyone comment on the ability (or not) of the Arcam with the B&Ws. Also would bi-amping the B&W's bring significant benifit?

Thanks
    Victoria

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Sorry ... meant to say I'm going to listen to the NAD and Rotel today but can't listen to the Arcam as it's not in stock ... just wondering if it's worth the wait.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    All of these are decent amps at the price,and more importantly have decent current delivery,given B&W's tradition as a current hungry load.
    As with all things,the only way to decide is to listen,preferably in your own home,but IMHO,the NAD sounds softer than the Rotel,and the Arcam will sound more traditionally "hifi" in character,but a very good amp at the price.

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It is inappropriate for me to comment on other brands but the A75 Plus works very well indeed with your B & Ws and is not IMO underpowered - many hundreds if not thousands of such systems are out there. You can always bi-amp the B & Ws later by adding a P75 Plus or better a P85 - these will help - but for that kind of money also consider an Arcam A85 outright.

I am mildly surprised your dealer doesn't have an A75 Plus in stock - we have done very well with this amp in the past few months and generally our dealers have them. At the factory we have just sold out for Xmas but will be building again in the first full week of the New Year.

HTH

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Well ... didn't end up buying any of my original choices.

Listened extensively to the RA-02 and the C370 ... then prefering the RA-02, went on and listened to the RA-1060.

Decided this was even more to my taste and as a last comparison compared it to the Tag MacLaren (unsure of model but was around £600).

Well long and the short was the RA-1060 was the one for me (us) and I am now the happy owner of a Rotel RA-1060 :)

Oh yes ... and also bought an LCR60 to match my 602 fronts ...

All in all a well spent £700 (inculding cables)

Thanks to everyone who replied and thanks to Leicester HiFi for their time.

Victoria

6. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just out of interest ,was the 1060 far better than ra02 and in what way, and could i ask price of 1060 normally around £600 +lcr60 center £200 (i have lcr60 but cdm1nt as fronts)

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    The RA1060 had (IMO) the same openness in the top end as the RA-02, but had a bit more low down grunt.

The RA-02 was nicer then the NAD C370 because it could reach the highs the Nad didn't seem able to, but the RA1060 still had the highs of the RA-02 and the lows of the NAD C370.

The Tag was interesting if you listened to the RA1060 first then the Tag we couldn't really tell any difference, but when we listenend to the Tag first then the RA1060 again we could clearly heard the difference at the high end, agressive violinist's showed the difference more then anything else.

The RA-02 was good, but the RA1060 was just a more rounded amp.

To answer your other question ...

I paid £180 for the centre and £490 for the RA-1060 (Leicester HiFi do 10% off their listed price)

Oh ... plus £24 for 3m QED Silver Anniversaty bi-wire for the centre.

If you're interested I can highly recomend Leicester HiFi as a shop - web site is www.leicesterhifi.co.uk

Victoria

8. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting mental picture this conjures up! Care to elaborate a bit more?? :clown:

9. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks soundog 10% off handy to know,i gave l/hifi ab buzz re possible combo of rotel/cdm1nts was told this combo could be to (bright) possible option to change cdms for 602 standmounts, not had a chance to demo rotel/cdm pairing though,thank you