Stephen King's The Mist

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
After a violent storm attacks a town in Maine, an approaching cloud of mist appears the next morning. As the mist quickly envelops the area, a group of people get trapped in a local grocery store -among them, artist David Drayton and his five-year-old son. The people soon discover that within the mist lives numerous species of horrific, unworldly creatures that entered through an inter-dimensional rift, which may or may not have been caused by a nearby military base. As the world around them manifests into a literal hell-on-earth, the horrified citizens try desperately to survive this apocalyptic disaster

Directed by Frank Darabont (Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption)

Stephen King (novel), Frank Darabont (screenplay)

Trailer

I remember reading this when I was younger. Whenever I was reading it I had the Fluke - Groovy Feeling CD Single playing on repeat through the headphones. The CD had 5 remixes on it and ran for 30-40 minutes.

Listening to music while reading isn't something that I would normally do or recommend, but this whole experience to me was something special.

Can't see the movie equaling the experience that I had when I was younger, but it should indeed be very watchable.

Strange that I have "Skeleton Crew" book (somewhere) that supposedly contains this as a short story, but can't remember reading it when I was younger.

Strange because I used to be a massive Stephen King fan and read everything he produced, yet this one seems to have slipt past.

Another suprising thing is that possibly my favourite Stephen King stories are "The Long Walk" and "Thinner" that originally appeared under his pseudonym Richard Bachman. Along with "The Stand" they're the only ones I've felt compelled to read multiple times over the years.

This was being advertised all over the place while I was in Florida recently and I wanted to watch it because it looked really good, but I never got round to it. I checked one of my preferred film sites for a review and they gave it five out of five so I went to IMDb to find no UK release date listed and it's not appearing in the 'Coming Soon' section of the sites for both my local cinema chains, Cineworld and Empire Cinemas. Surely we'll get this.

The good news it is the same as the book (apart from the ending) and could be just as good as Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile. Last time I heard, the UK date is TBA but it is supposed to be out this year.

The good news it is the same as the book (apart from the ending)
I read somewhere that King said if he thought of the ending Darabont came up with for the film, whatever that is, he would have ended his book that way. They kept going on about it being "the best movie ending ever" in adverts. We shall see.

i saw this while i was over in Florida. I liked it (i was also a fan of the short story) but my girlfriend wasn't as impressed, although i think that partly had to do with the american audience.. what's with all the clapping and cheering, the actors can't hear you, you know?? Oh and laughing every time someone swears, grow up please!

i thought the film mixed horror and humour well, although some of the acting was a bit OTT and the characters were about as stereotypical as you can get. There were a few decent gory bits, and I liked the ending though i confess i can't remember what happens at the end of the short story to say whether i liked that better or not.

i'd probably give it about 7/10

Cracking film. The acting & most of the effects leave a lot to be desired but i loved the undertones of the story & controversial but brilliant ending.

I maybe being dense here and having a bad memory but wasn't this already made by John Carpenter under the name of "The Fog"?

different story, that one was about the ghosts of old sailors coming back in the fog, which is not to be confused with James Herbert's The Fog, which is about a strange toxic fog which makes people go insane/murderous

fear of what you can't see is a popular story for horror :D i have 5 dvds in my collection with the word "dark" in the title for instance

different story, that one was about the ghosts of old sailors coming back in the fog, which is not to be confused with James Herbert's The Fog, which is about a strange toxic fog which makes people go insane/murderous

I want to see the last one now :D

*goes hunting on play.com*

Stephen King movies can be great, or they can be terrible, but even the great ones have some 'dumb unbelievable' moments.

Stephen King movies can be great, or they can be terrible, but even the great ones have some 'dumb unbelievable' moments.

it is fiction!...
I think King is one of the greatest story tellers of our time and the books are amazing and if done right can also make amazing films...

it is fiction!...
I think King is one of the greatest story tellers of our time and the books are amazing and if done right can also make amazing films...

He pushes the fictional envelope too far. His stories aren't always linear to logic, the ends aren't so much a twist, more of an inverted plait.

The problem I have always had with all King novels(with the exception of the shining) is they are always stretched to the limit... He seems to take short story ideas and turn them into epic page novels devoid of characterisation..

The film looks interesting though and this director seems to know how to to transfer his short stories to the screen

Watched this on Saturday night and must say it is very good especially the ending

One of the better SK adaptations

I know the SD DVD is out in April? Any word on a Blu-Ray release?

Watched this at the weekend. It was so good, I had to watch it again the following night.

As with "Shawshank" and "Green Mile", this is very close to the original story, including the dialogue and mannerisms of King's characters. The only change is the ending, which if anything is more shocking and frightening than the original story.

This isn't a dampened down, teen market movie either. The gore and violence whilst not over the top, is there to see, but it's the characters themselves and what they become capable of that are more frightening.

Great film.:smashin:

Add me to the count.........great ending! It's been a while for a decent horror flick!:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom