Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER (28 July 2017) Directed by Nikolaj Arcel

The Atheist

At least 2 glaring errors in that article, so I'll simply ignore its existence.

I have to say, as a big fan of the books and someone who was originally VERY sceptical about this movie (primarily due to the casting choices), I am now really looking forward to seeing this at the cinema. I'm often disappointed with movie adaptations, as they rarely capture what I had in my mind when reading the book. But the latest trailer for this seems to capture a number of the settings in a very similar way to how I saw them in my head.

I really hope they've done the story justice and I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Reviews

RT
18%
Avg 4/10

IGN 5/10

Mediocre
The Dark Tower is a thoroughly average adaptation of some truly incredible source material.

THR's John DeFore quick take on Tower was that it was "decent but uninspiring" and that it was "far from the muddled train wreck we've been led to expect." "Though satisfying enough to please many casual moviegoers drawn in by King's name and stars Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey, it will likely disappoint many serious fans and leave other newbies underwhelmed," added DeFore.

The Guardian's Charles Bramesco was similarly left wondering what the point was, writin g: "It’s rare a film so convoluted manages to be so determinedly boring. Lucky for you, it vanishes from the mind as soon as it ends." Bramesco felt that all the talent involved didn't really disgrace themselves but really didn't stand out either. "There’s a point somewhere in the misshapen second act that an attentive viewer can feel all the parties involved giving up and resolving to get the rest of the movie over with as soon as possible."
"While most high-profile franchise starters try to do too much their first time out, this thing’s guilty of too little ambition,"

Brian Truitt in USA Today. Truitt focused on the admirable levels of mediocrity despite A-list talents like Elba, McConaughey as well as King's wildly popular source material. Still, it wasn't all forgettable, Elba's performance as Roland Deschain won the biggest praise from Truitt who said his gunslinger "oozes a winning sense of stoic gravitas."

IGN reviewer Marty Silva's verdict was to the point, describing Tower as "a thoroughly average take on some truly incredible source material." Silva added: "For a story where the literal fate of the universe is at stake, it’s disappointingly easy to not really care about anything that’s happening on screen."

Kate Erbland writing in Indiewire saw the film as a failure and pondered whether it was possible, or even advisable, to adapt Tower for the big screen given the 4,000 pages from the novels alone. Erbland felt fans would dislike the film and "even newbies will likely be left in the dust as Jake and Roland bounce through locations and plot movements with jarring irregularity, as they’re forced to judge for themselves just how important each person and place really is to the larger story."

Uproxx's Mike Ryan didn't hold back, writing a blistering review that opens by describing Tower as "so astoundingly awful that when you leave the theater you’ll likely be less mad you wasted your time than flabbergasted that something like this could a) happen and b) be released as something that, theoretically, is going to launch a multi-platform franchise."

Last edited:

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
This only had a $60m budget, very low for supposed summer tent pole event film. Even with the disappointing $20m opening domestically, Sony should still end up in the black with this one.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Bang average 6/10 never read the books but action/fantasy/sci-fi by the numbers

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately, it's poor. Some nice visuals but the story is weak; the action sequences are cookie cutter; the performances are laughable (literally), especially McConaughey (he must be taking the mick here!) as The Man in Black, aka Walter (for real! Walter!? Evil incarnate is named Walter?!); it has the cheesiest and poorest dialogue I've heard in a film in years; there's a key battle that looks like it's right out of Star Trek Voyager or TNG, and basically it's just a low-effort adaptation of a series of beloved novels.

Idris Elba is decent though. There's at least one laugh involving his character towards the end of the film. Edit - The kid playing Jake is woeful. He's special, as so many characters keep telling him, so perhaps that explains his performance.

Edit - Fran Kranz shouldn't have been cast in this. His character is so reminiscent of ones he's played in other things that it pulled me out of the story and brought those shows/films to mind. In fact, I think they must have used his wardrobe from Cabin in the Woods in this film! Maybe he is the same character now that I think about it!

Last edited:

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Honestly, I think it could be worth seeing if you don't take it as seriously as it wants you to. It's pitched as a serious sci-fi thriller, with a couple of laughs creeping in towards the end (it plays it straight for so long that the comedy is a bit incongruous, but it was a welcome distraction), so if you take it less seriously than it pitches itself then there's a chance you could enjoy it. It's only 90 minutes long.

I'd watch it again for McConaughey's performance. Had to stifle more than a few giggles whenever he was on screen.

Doctor Smirnoff

Saw this during one of it's final showings near me... used Unlimited card so nothing to lose but 95mins out of the house. In short, it's very much like an extended pilot for a SyFy tv series. In terms of duration, script, production value and casting (you could easily secure 99% of the cast for the TV continuation that was once planned). Not terrible. Not great. Just there.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Doctor Sleep director Mike Flanagan says Dark Tower is his favorite King Property he would like to work with, maybe he can bring that TV spinoff to life?

Ps
He put a lot of Dark Tower easter eggs in DOCTOR SLEEP

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom