Stephen King's Doctor Sleep Review & Comments

Just watched it ... I thought it was excellent, easily a 8-9 and I felt the best Ewan McG film in ages. Yeah some parts in the hotel were a bit odd (think Jack N) and took you a little somewhat away from the story but overall I would recommend. RF as Rise was brilliant too!

Thought this was decent. Lacks that Kubrick magic though and found
the returning recast characters massively jarring, in this day and age it just felt cheap, I’d rather they just weren’t in it, particularly Jack, was such a duff lookie likey
I also had an issue with Ferguson, she was just too clean and beautiful to be a pikey cult leader.
Otherwise it was relatively compelling, well told tale.
6/10

Last edited:
You put this
"It's a pretty well-known piece of film trivia that King didn’t love Kubrick’s version of his classic book, and Doctor Sleep director Mike Flanagan has attempted to bridge the gap between the original film and the novel"

3 paragraphs later
"It's a pretty well-known piece of film trivia that King didn’t love Kubrick’s version of his classic book, and Doctor Sleep director Mike Flanagan has attempted to bridge the gap between the original film and the novel. The script is clearly adapted"

Why repeat yourself?

You put this
"It's a pretty well-known piece of film trivia that King didn’t love Kubrick’s version of his classic book, and Doctor Sleep director Mike Flanagan has attempted to bridge the gap between the original film and the novel"

3 paragraphs later
"It's a pretty well-known piece of film trivia that King didn’t love Kubrick’s version of his classic book, and Doctor Sleep director Mike Flanagan has attempted to bridge the gap between the original film and the novel. The script is clearly adapted"

Why repeat yourself?

It's a pullout quote.

Is it necessary to see the original as my wife hasn't seen The Shining?

For the whole experience, watch the shining with her, or at least, tell her what it's about.

I would defo make her watch it though

Last edited:
Is it necessary to see the original as my wife hasn't seen The Shining?

Considering it's attempting to tie in both the original source novel, the disowned classic film adaptation, and the recently penned sequel novel, into one relatively cohesive whole, I would think that familiarity with either the original book or movie would be a pre-requisite, no?

I will wait for 4KBD on this one. In the meantime, can I just say 'Doctor Sleep' is a frickin' terrible title for anything: Album, book, DJ, sedative, film, gadget – ANYTHING.

I will wait for 4KBD on this one. In the meantime, can I just say 'Doctor Sleep' is a frickin' terrible title for anything: Album, book, DJ, sedative, film, gadget – ANYTHING.
It may have meant more in the book, but it doesn’t relate much to the film.

I was watching a review from a hard core Horror geek who really knows his horror, but also appreciates films in general.. The Shining is his favourite film of all time. He doesn't try to compare this to Kubrick's film as he says that would be unfair, especially given the amount of time that film has been around. But for what it's worth, he likes this film a lot.

Considering it's attempting to tie in both the original source novel, the disowned classic film adaptation, and the recently penned sequel novel, into one relatively cohesive whole, I would think that familiarity with either the original book or movie would be a pre-requisite, no?

Read that as 'recently panned'. Still a factual sentence.

Not long got back from seeing this and thought it was great.
It is missing the Kubrick factor but I think it would of been 3.5 hours long if he had his hand in it and also another 10 years away from being made as he was such a perfectionist.

7.5/10 for me. Enjoyable and fits in with its parent film I think.

Not long got back from seeing this and thought it was great.
It is missing the Kubrick factor but I think it would of been 3.5 hours long if he had his hand in it and also another 10 years away from being made as he was such a perfectionist.

7.5/10 for me. Enjoyable and fits in with its parent film I think.
You say that, but Dr Sleep was longer than The Shining and it felt it too

Really enjoyed that. Felt different from its predecessor and added plenty to the mythology, and I thought Rebecca Fergusson was terrific as the main antagonist (although her Irish accent seemed to vanish into thin air halfway through the film) . The young girl was really good too, for a while at least.

The bit I was most looking forward to (
showdown at the Overlook
) was the most disappointing sequence. Felt ever so generic and in a way was just as fan servicey as the sequence in Ready Player One. Fergusson loses her menace and becomes annoyingly verbose, and I almost began to lose patience with the girl as well, who never seems particularly bothered by what's happening. In The Shining, Danny Torance was petrified at all times, which really sells the terror of that film. I didn't get that sense of threat here and so I was never unsettled.

Having said that, I was pretty impressed with the bulk of the movie especially some of the telepathic abilities on display. Good story and characters, just derails itself in the last act. 7/10

^ almost felt unnecessary they even went there and was pointlessly generic when they did.

Can anyone confirm what aspect ratio this was shown at your cinemas? Our seems to show this at something like 2.20:1, but it looked wrong and the BBFC title card was cut off top and bottom before the film started. IMDB suggests it is 1.85:1. I complained/queried this with the staff when the film started but no one seemed to know and nothing was changed.

1.85:1 at screening I saw ( which was good as wasnt on one of scope screens)

Having recently endurEd the latest Terminator film with, in my opinion, its complete lack of originality and a lazy simplistic script, how nice to see a film that was both well cast and well acted; had a scary and unsettling story; and made sensible references to the film that spawned it without being some kind of money grabbing clone. I loved it. The sound track was fantastic in my local Showcase Xplus screen and should be great if or when released on 4K UHD.

Doctor Sleep is basically in the same position as 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

Think about it.

Original story by Stephen King [Arthur C Clarke].
Story made into a genre-defining film masterpiece by Stanley Kubrick.
Sequel written by the author years later.
Sequel made into a film by a different filmmaker.
Film is actually really good, despite not holding a candle to the first.

Only difference is that Clarke didn't hate Kubrick's 2001 :)

Doctor Sleep is basically in the same position as 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

Think about it.

Original story by Stephen King [Arthur C Clarke].
Story made into a genre-defining film masterpiece by Stanley Kubrick.
Sequel written by the author years later.
Sequel made into a film by a different filmmaker.
Film is actually really good, despite not holding a candle to the first.

Only difference is that Clarke didn't hate Kubrick's 2001 :)

2010 is underrated.
Doctor Sleep is rated...about right? Maybe a bit high.
That is all. Please return to your business, citizens.

7!

This was the easiest 10 for me since Blade Runner 2049.

One of the best sequels ever.

I did think this felt like a worthy sequel to the original. I wouldn't mind seeing it again but whether I'd still be watching it in 40 years from now like the original remains to be seen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom