Stentor

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Molly, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been offered a Stentor I subwoofer but they are not sure if this can be connected to a 5.1 system.
    Does the subwoofer have the correct connections for the Neutrik Speakon connector and the phono socket for the .1 connection from my dolby digital amp?
    Due to the age of the subwoofer am I better with a new model from the Q series?

Look forward to hearing from you

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I have recently bought a second hand Storm which is slightly lower down the food chain than a Stentor but it also has a non standard connector.

You can buy a cable with a Neutrik connector at one end from quite a few online dealers so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you are getting the Stentor for a good price it should be much better value than a new Q series.

As a matter of interest there is a second hand Strata in the classifieds for £250 which is again further down the food chain from a Stentor but good value for money and certainly much much better than anything that you can buy new for around that price.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,468
    It depends on whether it is an orignal Stentor, a Stentor II or new Stentor III.
    The Stentor II and III are an astonishing subwoofer and better than anything in the Q series.
    I don't know about the original Stentor.

4. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe its the orginal stentor.
    Does anyone have any experience with this subwoofer and the types of connections required for 5.1 sound?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Guessing here but the connections could be XLR as on my Mark 1 Storm.

The technical guys at REL are very helpful and an email to [email protected] usually gets a prompt response.

I think that most of the early ST range had XLR connectors and as REL XLR's are wired in a non standard way the easiest thing for you to do is to buy a cable directly from REL.

The other alternative is to buy the cable from the existing owner as he won't have any further use for it.

No matter what kind of connection is at the subwoofer end the other end will be a standard phono suitable for any suitably equipped amp.