Promoted Steinway Lyngdorf – The Ultimate Music and Home Cinema System

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Steinway Lyngdorf thread seems overdue, so here is my attempt to describe their benefits.

Steinway Lyngdorf combine a range of technologies that remove the distortion found in other audio systems. They are only available as complete systems, but these systems will outperform any other combination of stereo or surround components.

The Technology

Steinway Lyngdorf remove the noise and distortion inherent in other audio electronics. Their patented amplifier technology, Equibit, directly converts digital PCM audio to the PWM analogue signal required to drive loudspeakers. This eliminates the need for a pre amplifier and the additional layers of A/D conversion found in other systems. Listen to a Steinway system and you’ll hear it is completely silent and will reproduce your music and movies with nothing added or taken away.

1.jpg

Reproducing bass accurately is one of the most challenging problems in home audio. Steinway have solved this problem with the addition a new category of speaker, the boundary woofer. Placed in pairs in the front corners of the room, all the sound they produce arrives at the listener position without secondary reflections from the room. This placement combined with a linear response to over 1000Hz and RoomPerfects’ unique design delivers better timing and quality than any alternative. Listen to some drumming, percussion or content with strong transients and you will hear the difference.

Speaker cabinets create unwanted resonances that colour the sound from the drive units. As the air in the cabinet is compressed, this restricts the movement of the drive units. Steinway have removed both these problems by producing speakers without any cabinet. A solid billet of aluminium holds the drive units in free air for the fastest, cleanest response. The open, dynamic sound this produces sound like the live event, rather a loudspeaker trying to reproduce it.

The weakest link in a good hifi or home cinema is the effect of the room’s acoustics. No amount of room design and treatment can remove the errors that the listening room creates.

Steinway Lyngdorfs solution is another patented technology, RoomPerfect, the worlds most advanced room compensation system. This process is unique in preserving the characteristics of the loudspeakers used while removing the acoustic errors your room creates. Designed to give optimal sound in normal, untreated rooms, RoomPerfect makes it possible to achieve the finest sound quality throughout a home.

Testing the Results

Steinway Lyngdorf are the only audio system capable of reproducing the live performance while their surround system deliver higher quality that the finest professional systems.

If you would like to put these claims to the test, please get in touch.

To find out more, visit the Steinway Lyngdorf website here

We whole heartedly agree with all of the above.

We have installed countless cinemas and media rooms using a wide range of products and brands. As exceptional as these are, Steinway Lyngdorf cinema and music systems are just in another league compared to any other system that we have experienced.

We currently have the Model O system on permanent demonstration but are excited to announce that with the summer opening of our new showrooms, we will also be able to demonstrate the Model S and Model B systems in our new media rooms.

The majority of our clients that buy into the Steinway ethos are musicians, composers, songwriters, the film and TV industry and also those that are classically trained.

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

FYI A recent trend I’ve seen is visitors choosing a Steinway 5 or 7 channel system over an 11-channel system from other manufacturers. If music is your priority I think this is definitely the way to go.

It’s the quality of the speakers, not the quantity.

FYI A recent trend I’ve seen is visitors choosing a Steinway 5 or 7 channel system over an 11-channel system from other manufacturers. If music is your priority I think this is definitely the way to go.

It’s the quality of the speakers, not the quantity.

I'd agree with quality over quantity and extend that to film as well

If you are looking for the best possible stereo or surround system, these combinations will outperform any alternatives, regardless of price.

Steinway Lyngdorf, Model S True Digital Systems with RoomPerfect
  • Stereo 2.2 System £37,185
  • Surround 5.2 System £68,985
  • Atmos 7.4.4 System £137,695
Please get in touch if you would like to audition any of these combinations

The main “theme” of Steinway Lyngdorf systems is that they add less to the signal than any alternatives so music and movies sounds cleaner and clearer.

Here is my favorite full range speaker in their range, the Model B.

Each one has 6 x 12” drive units driven actively, so in addition to sounding more open and detailed than traditional hifis’, they also have way more power and bass extension.

Please get in touch if you want a listen.

163814062_750215479199134_7431484122825935953_n.jpg

The main “theme” of Steinway Lyngdorf systems is that they add less to the signal than any alternatives so music and movies sounds cleaner and clearer.

Here is my favorite full range speaker in their range, the Model B.

Each one has 6 x 12” drive units driven actively, so in addition to sounding more open and detailed than traditional hifis’, they also have way more power and bass extension.

Please get in touch if you want a listen.

View attachment 1493541

My favourite too! :clap:

Just need to get that lottery win. :D

My favourite too! :clap:

Just need to get that lottery win. :D

I only got to hear them a bit at ISE as I had food poisoning and was kinda swaying back and forward from that and also in less that ideal settings with people in the way etc and they sounded brilliant.

If I was a stereo guy this would be my pick. For home cinema I would go S-15 with their inwall atmos speakers. Or if I wanted moar explosion face melting then maybe the IW66.

It makes my system sound like a 1980's Hinari all in one and every other system I've heard to date for that matter.

Hi All - Here’s a hypothetical/just for fun question, just in case I get lucky on the lottery and my balls drop…

I actually live in Newbury, which is just a stones throw from Gecko Home Cinema so I’ve already sussed out where to go/my first port of call, in the highly unlikely event that I do win more than the usual ∼£2.60…

Talking about a Dolby Atmos system and If money were no object, I take it that most people in this thread would go for a Steinway Lyngdorf cinema system but what about the speakers & subs?..

With my current/modest budget, I currently have a penchant for PMC speakers and I know that they have a lot better one’s than my 4 x “twenty5 23” plus a “twenty5 center” and a couple of B&W ceiling speakers…

So, the question is - Would you go for a complete Steinway Lyngdorf cinema system, including speakers/subs or would you go with speakers/subs from different manufacturers?

Also, same question, if you only won a smaller amount and had to “settle” for a MP-60 2.1 plus power amps. Which speakers/subs?

Last edited:
So, the question is - Would you go for a complete Steinway Lyngdorf cinema system, including speakers/subs or would you go with speakers/subs from different manufacturers?

Also, same question, if you only won a smaller amount and had to “settle” for a MP-60 2.1 plus power amps. Which speakers/subs?

Steinway Lyngdorf systems can only use their own speakers and boundary woofers, so there is no Steinway Lyngdorf with B&W speakers for example.

I use MK speakers, Paradigm Subs and Anthem and Lyngdorf amplification running from an MP60.

Thanks for that. I wasn’t aware of this but it’s one less thing to worry about when I win big, so that’s nice!

Most Steinway Lyngdorf speakers have no cabinet so the cones start and stop quicker than a traditional box loudspeaker. They are also made out of aluminum which completely removes any resonances. When you hear how much cleaner and clearer they sound it makes you realize the flaws in regular loudspeaker designs.

As you live so close, why not come for a listen?

Most recent visitors have chosen a 5 channel Steinway Lyngdorf system over any 11 channel alternatives.

Well, this morning, I took Rob up on his very kind offer to come along to Gecko Home Cinema to have a listen to the various Steinway Lyngdorf / Lyngdorf / MK systems in his demo rooms…

Firstly, it has to be said, what a thoroughly nice chap Rob is!

Secondly, what can I say? To say that I was blown away is the understatement of the year! All of the high praise that you see about these systems is true and I left with a big grin on my face!

My advice to anyone with the means is to get a Steinway Lyngdorf system, now and my advice to anyone else who loves Hi-Fi / Home Cinema is to start saving for Lyngdorf kit!

Hi Richard

Thanks so much for your lovely feedback.

I’m glad you enjoyed the visit and were suitably impressed by the stereo and surround systems.

Mixing and matching components cannot provide the same quality as Steinway Lyngdorf systems and as you heard, it only takes a moment to hear the difference.

The next best thing to a Steinway Lyngdorf system is Lyngdorf electronics with your favorite speakers but it will be interesting to see how close Lyngdorf systems get to Steinway Lyngdorf systems when they release more speakers and woofers later this year.

If anyone else would like to come for a listen, please get in touch.

fascinating system and technology-shame it is a "closed" system not allowing incremental build up over time due to the expense. would be good to see some case studies and photos

fascinating system and technology-shame it is a "closed" system not allowing incremental build up over time due to the expense. would be good to see some case studies and photos

You can go from Stereo to 16ch Atmos - you're tied to the one brand yes, but you don't have to go all out right away, so like any other system you can start where you like.

That makes sense, the problem is when you wish to use a 16 channel system you can't mix and match the steinway speakers with other processors and speakers for instance it has to be steinway processor and steinway speakers running each other

That makes sense, the problem is when you wish to use a 16 channel system you can't mix and match the steinway speakers with other processors and speakers for instance it has to be steinway processor and steinway speakers running each other

Yes, but the whole reason for the Steinway systems is that everything is controlled along the entire signal chain so it eliminates wild cards or weaker links. It's very obvious that they spent a lot of time making it (in their opinion) the best of all worlds.

The alternative is a Lyngdorf system and hope that you choose wisely but even then it's still quite a stark difference and then depending on which model of Steinway you want, it's different again and no one else that I know of is doing this to extent they are.

What could be interesting is the new range of Lyngdorf speakers and woofers and the purify amps / drivers - time will tell, but if the early rumours are to be believed, then it's one step closer to the SL systems.

Well, the S-15 speakers have regular binding posts for speaker wire, so in theory, you could mix and match those with non-SL electronics, if you were able to get your hands on the speakers separately. In fact, I've seen at least one classifieds listing in Denmark where the seller was using a pair of S-15s with Lyngdorf boundary woofers and a TDAI-3400. But yes, it is pretty clear that they were designed to operate within a "closed" system.

I'm currently waiting for an installer to be allowed into my home to install the 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling. I can't accommodate a centre speaker for various reasons, so for now, I have the base layer up and running in a 6.2 configuration (S-15 + LSR-212) with phantom centre. I imagine I am one of very few SL owners without a centre speaker... :blush:

That said, the imaging of the S-15 is unreal, and based on what I've already heard, I can't imagine being anything other than an even happier bunny, once everything is set up and running. I'll be happy to share a few photos as and when that happens.

Steinway Lyngdorf speakers won’t give the correct performance if they were used on their own and could be easily damaged.

The passive components in a normal speaker that are necessary to give the correct response add noise and distortion to the signal. In a Steinway system these components are removed and implemented in the digital domain and sit within the amplifiers.

Each time you power the system up, these filters are loaded on to the amplifiers that work as part of the speakers. This reproduces sound without the noise, distortion and power loss of normal speakers.

Its very easy to hear.

These filters etc. are created for each project by an engineer looking at the design of the complete system. When you buy a Steinway Lyngdorf system, this is part of what makes it better. An acoustician that understands all the products and how they will best work together has optimized the system for your system.

You can see some case studies here Cases | Steinway Lyngdorf | The world's finest audio systems

I’m demonstrating Steinway Lyngdorf stereo and surround systems every day and the one thing everyone comments on is they sound so much clearer than any other system.

There are two main reasons for this. The first is their electronics do less to the signal path than any alternatives. Their amps directly convert the digital PCM signal to the analogue PWM signal required to drive speakers.

Preamplifiers add noise to the signal and reduce dynamic range and Lyngdorfs Equibit technology removes the need for a pre amplifier. This is a patented process only found in Lyngdorf and Steinway Lyngdorf electronics.

The other distortion that other systems add is in the speakers. No matter how well constructed, a wooden box is, it will resonate. Put your hand on speakers when playing at high volume level and you’ll feel it. Most Steinway in room speakers are made from a lump of aluminium. Pick up the little S15 or put your hand on their large model and you’ll feel zero resonance.

Most loudspeakers use a cabinet with drive units cut in to them. As the cones move, the air behind them compress which slows down their movement. Steinway’s larger speakers have no cabinet so the drive unit start and stop much quicker than in a box speaker.

If anyone would like to hear this for themselves, please get in touch. They really do sound very different.

The Steinway Lyngdorf systems and the Lyngdorf systems to a slightly lesser degree are the most accurate music systems I have ever heard and after 20+ years having this hobby and spending a lot of time in intimate live music venues it is clear that the SL and L systems are a cut above the rest.......thanks in part to keeping the signal as pure as possible and then once you add RoomPerfect to the equation....well it does not get any better in my opinion........
Having spent many a happy hour(s) sitting in front of the various Steinway Lyngdorf systems on demonstration when i had the pleasure of working at Gecko it really is a music lovers dream.

Last edited:
I spent a few hours with Rob at Gecko this week just listening again to the various absolutely stunning SL systems on demonstration there. One word sums up the experience: sublime.

The absolute clarity of these SL systems really does have to be heard to be believed.

Weird, when I went there all he showed me was his train set.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom